The wood wall... think I got enough, yet? Still one more truckload to bring in...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

summit

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
central maine
It started with a bright idea to put some of the wood in between the trees out front. It has morphed into my new wood storage/ privacy fence!

Attachments

• wood pile.jpg
    wood pile.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 733
That's a real nice stash of wood there Summit!

That spot would make it easy to sell when people start running out of wood the end of January.

Look great! But I fear you might have some restacking to do in the future. I tried a similar setup using pretty similar trees, ~12" dbh spruce trees. It looked great then a windstorm swept through and rocked those trees enough to make the stacks collapse. I was surprised at how much movement there is in a tree trunk, even down near its base, when the top gets-a-rocking. So, when I restacked I basically made a normal stack, with normal criss-cross ends, stacked between the trees but did not actually touch the trees or use them for support. It has the same look, but is mechanically independent of the trees.

I would umbrella the pines up a Little more.

When you look at all that wood do you hear those Kit Kat commercials in your head "OH YA.........DO OW OW..............OHHHHHHH YAAAAA", or am I the only one ;-P

Nice stacks, I like the use of pallets:) I now have two of these pallet racks full= 2 cord. I was thinking last night for the winter I may just add three pallets to the top for a roof and wrap then with a tarp.

Attachments

• pallets.jpg
    pallets.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 465
I have a wood wall too. The neighbors tease me that I am too cheap to put up a fence. I also use the pallet method. I am lucky to have an unlimited pallet supply about 1.5 miles from me.
This is last year's stack. the same area is filled with 4+cords of Red and White Oak and another cord of mixed hardwood for 11'/12' now.
DSC05874.jpg

That looks nice and neat Summit.

Another line of the theme of stacking between trees is that not only can wind move the trees and knock some piles down, the wood scraping against the bark can cause some skinning of the trees. That is the reason I've stayed away from stacking between trees. However, it seems to work for some folks.

For some reason I'm thinking Robert Frost would have made out better with his neighbor if he had wood fences instead of stone fences. ;)

summit said:
It started with a bright idea to put some of the wood in between the trees out front. It has morphed into my new wood storage/ privacy fence!

Summit looks great but you can never have to much! :zip:

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.