THELIN OWNERS I NEED YOUR EXPERT ADVICE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THELINMAN3000

Jan 1, 2012
smokey mtns
I bought my parlor 3000 3 years ago new. the stove is well built I agree. I have no OAK, but I do keep my draft 7/8 of the way cut off by the flapper at draft on bottom of stove. My problem is my glass will black up with ashes after about 1 hour of use. If i open my draft 1/2 or more it will ash up the glass in 15 mins.I'm burning high quality pellets, either somersets or green ways or white lightening country boys. Any help on my glass will be appreciated. All ashes go towards the glass or to the right hand side of the burn pot.
P.S. My chimney is only 4 foot long, no turn up just a streight out run.
Any Thelin owners have this problem? A $ 3500. stove should not do this in my opinion, I have a friend with a $2000. Englander 10cpm his glass stays clean all the time due to having a air wash. Thelin has no air wash for the glass. I do not recommend this stove because of this problem, I do recommend it however on the way it looks and HEATS. A PLUS+ PLUS +PLUS it will run on a deep cycle battery just fine no difference when my power goes out NOTHING EXTRA TO BUY BUT A BATTERY, IT COMES WITH BATTERY CABLES THAT plugs INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE STOVE.
Fix the glass issue it would be the best stove out there.

What speed are you running the stove at when the glass gets dirty fast? On low the glass will get dirty very fast but on medium it will stay clean much longer, of course it could fry you with the heat you can get with Somersets. One thing I would definitely look at is your venting, Thelin specifies that you must have a 5 foot rise minimum on the exhaust and your straight out exhaust may not be letting the stove vent itself properly. Also what color is the soot on the glass, if it shows up as white to light brown you are getting a good air mix, but if it is black you need more air. I have never seen black glass when burning Somersets because as you have seen they burn great with the damper almost completely closed.

I have a new Thelin Parlour 3000 also and had issues with ash build up on the right side, large ash size and a dirty window....I put up with this for 3 months..then I was told to close up my OAK damper more...( I keep it open only about a 1/4" )..and did it make a difference...the ash is finer along with less ash build up...as far as the glass it is much cleaner..it still get dirty but it's not as dark as it use to get. I should mention I do not have an OAK unit hooked up. After the adjustment it seems to burn longer (with a load) and cleaner. I like to burn on the medium fan setting and trim the dial just a little higher or up some. I still get more ash build up on the right side of the firebox...not sure what is causing that. I'm burning a hardwood pellet..Geneva...which gives good heat and low ash...I also burn MWP (mixed) which burns a little cooler and has a very very fine light grey ash..like powder. I do clean the stove at least every 2-3 days...and everyday or 15 to 20 hours of burn I clean the ashes out with a long spoon. I think if you talk to most stove owners the glass always gets dirty within a short period of time...I just get use to it and clean it every couple of days...sometime I just open the door while it's buring and wipe it with a dry paper towel...it does help some..just make sure it is not wet..you will crack the hot glass. I really like the stove//it's a well built stove and I always get comments on it when friends come in the house.

My ash color is a whitish color. My dealer did not install a rise on exhaust because it's in front of a window. Also my friends englander 10 cdv does not ash the glass at all. He can burn his for 3 weeks with out wiping the glass. When he does wipe the glass he only gets a very small amount of ash off of it. He can always see the fire through the glass. I can't see the fire after a 1 hour burn. My damper is about 1/8 open or less, almost closed. I can wipe my glass while burning every 20 mins. I have thought about pulling the left side heat shield ( the one that covers the heat tubes) to see if the exhaust would pull out with more force. I also clean mine out monthly with a very powerful blower/ vac ( 240 mph wind) to clean exhaust pipe. I'm running with 3" simpson duravent. I also use the clean button with my door open before every fire. It always blows ashes out of my exhaust pipe. I can see the end of my exhaust because its in front of the window.

Picture below 1 hour burn time low , trim minimum,

Attachments

• dirty glass.jpg
    dirty glass.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 228
bigruckus said:
I have a new Thelin Parlour 3000 also and had issues with ash build up on the right side, large ash size and a dirty window....I put up with this for 3 months..then I was told to close up my OAK damper more...( I keep it open only about a 1/4" )..and did it make a difference...the ash is finer along with less ash build up...as far as the glass it is much cleaner..it still get dirty but it's not as dark as it use to get. I should mention I do not have an OAK unit hooked up. After the adjustment it seems to burn longer (with a load) and cleaner. I like to burn on the medium fan setting and trim the dial just a little higher or up some. I still get more ash build up on the right side of the firebox...not sure what is causing that. I'm burning a hardwood pellet..Geneva...which gives good heat and low ash...I also burn MWP (mixed) which burns a little cooler and has a very very fine light grey ash..like powder. I do clean the stove at least every 2-3 days...and everyday or 15 to 20 hours of burn I clean the ashes out with a long spoon. I think if you talk to most stove owners the glass always gets dirty within a short period of time...I just get use to it and clean it every couple of days...sometime I just open the door while it's buring and wipe it with a dry paper towel...it does help some..just make sure it is not wet..you will crack the hot glass. I really like the stove//it's a well built stove and I always get comments on it when friends come in the house.

Last night I put my inlet air damper at 1/4 open, I still have ashes all over my glass. The picture above is the same after 1 hour burn time, seems it heats better with less air.

Are you burning hard wood pellets? If so try the soft wood, I noticed with my Mini there is less build up over time.

THELINMAN3000 said:
.......seems it heats better with less air.

It's possible that with more air, the stove is blowing the heat through the exchangers too fast and out the exhaust.

THELINMAN3000 said:
bigruckus said:

Last night I put my inlet air damper at 1/4 open, I still have ashes all over my glass. The picture above is the same after 1 hour burn time, seems it heats better with less air.

You stated above a 1/4 open?..so it's a quarter of the way open....right??....I keep mine a 1/4" open....this is what I did at first....kept it open a quarter of the way......it was open to much for my stove...then I realize it should of been a 1/4" open...You might have to consider...that it may be impossible to keep your Thelin glass clean....it use to bug me...but I have my stove in the kitchen and really don't see it much... You should enjoy the heat it puts out...

Status
Not open for further replies.