1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Theoretical question about masonry heaters

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Beetle-Kill, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    The thought just popped up in my head. If you built a masonry heater and then a house around it, would there be any benefit to designing a secondary air system into the heater? Since they burn all out, would the secondaries add or detract from smoke output/ build-up in the stove? Just curious. JB

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I think you want all the heat to travel through the labrynth of flue so the heat can be absorbed by the masonry, a baffle and/or secondary air system would prevent a lot of the heat from travelling.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Would the air drawn in and burned in a secondary tube(s) really cause that much heat loss?
  4. Dutch

Dutch New Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Many masonry heaters incorporate secondary air systems, I believe.
  5. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Honestly, I've not dug into the designs too much, but I haven't run across a secondary air supplement/design so far.
    The desired result would be as little smoke from the flue as possible, for as short a duration of the burn as possible.
    I don't have a clue, that's why I ask. JB
  6. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I havent either thats why I replied as I did, maybe they would work better but cost more or maybe they dont make enough difference to bother.