There are 2 ways to cut down combustion air...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
And since I am a relative newbie here, I'll ask anyway: How do I know if I should cut down the smoke flue damper instead of adjusting the combustion air door? Both methods reduce the amount of air going through the system and supporting the fire.

Anyone? I'm having a real time trying to set the correct airflows on this thing from day to day.

If your talking about yoru Winter Warm then you need to shut the damper down when you reach proper flue temp to light of the catalyst. Once that is acomplished just control the rate of burn through the primary air controls.

Shane said:
If your talking about yoru Winter Warm then you need to shut the damper down when you reach proper flue temp to light of the catalyst. Once that is acomplished just control the rate of burn through the primary air controls.

No - I was talking about the charmaster forced air furnace.

I'm no expert and I dont have a charmaster, but based on my experience I now keep my damper on my flue open all of the time. I also fixed my barometric damper and I am burning less wood now, while keeping my secondary combustion going. I just use the main dampers on the furnace itself to control the burn.

Well since I don't have a charmaster this is just generic advice but I would try to control the thing primarily with the air controls on the front of the stove, and only use the damper when further control is required.

Have you contacted Charmaster? I found them to be very responsive to email.

Status
Not open for further replies.