Thermal switch for (external) room fan... suggestions? ...anyone install one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinK

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
...Looking for ideas/suggestions for a thermal switch.

I've been running my (Oslo) stove for a couple years now, ...and very pleased with it.
I recently put a vent in the floor to the room above the stove, (The stove is in the rec room, ...living room just above) and plan to install a fan there to draw up more of the warm air.
In addition to a variable speed switch I am interested in adding a thermal switch that would cause the fan to come on at a certain temp (say 70 degrees).
Has anyone done this, ...and if so, ...can you point me to the specific switch you used?

FYI, ...the fan I plan to use is a simple inline (inductive) 6" duct fan, ...about 160cfm which is all I think I need.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin

A standard line voltage wall thermostat for baseboard heaters could turn a fan on and off. I had one in my former home but the heat loss through the long duct run served to heat the crawlspace instead of the back room so the fan ran all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.