Thermo-Control anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be brand new. From what I've read from others they aren't that inefficient. Obviously I would never believe the 73% or whatever it is that the company claims, but I would be happy as long as it isn't burning through 15-20 cord like the traditional owbs are known to do

"From what you read"???

Again, if you are going to ask for advice, you have to consider that we've been through 30+ years of installing and selling these things - and we have real engineers here who use real equipment to take real efficiency measurements....

I'm not stating how much wood you are going to go through - but that some OWB's and "old" technology boilers will be lucky to hit 30% total system efficiency. That's the way it is. A properly designed higher efficiency system could hit double that.

Maybe you will burn 12 cords instead of 6, 10 instead of 5 or 7.......but you will burn a lot more and create a lot more smoke and pollution.

Reactions: arngnick
It would be brand new. From what I've read from others they aren't that inefficient. Obviously I would never believe the 73% or whatever it is that the company claims, but I would be happy as long as it isn't burning through 15-20 cord like the traditional owbs are known to do

So you will you be happy burning 14 cords? I urge you to consider the most efficient system that you can afford. There are a lot of really impressive units out there and there are some "new" units that will eat wood. There is a lot of experience on here, listen to what is proven and working for people. The less wood you burn in a year the more you will have left for the next year. If are not able to cut wood or get busy with something else. You will not be forced to cut wood because you chose a hungry smoke dragon. Like I said before I learned the hard way and it took me a while to come around to all the great recommendations available on here.

Ok if you have experience with a thermo-control boiler or a similar downdraft boiler I'd like some input. I cut split and sell firewood and camp wood on the side and enjoy doing it. I'm looking for a reasonably priced boiler that is simple function. I'm not spending 8-12k on a boiler. I can't afford it and need a new way to heat this year. I don't need everyone to bash this older technology bc I already know what to expect. I only want to hear if people have actually owned them and had bad or good experiences.

Since you sell firewood you should buy the most efficient boiler. By selling all the wood you will save you will be able to make up the added cost of the better boiler. You mentioned that burn times were a big priority to you and I do not think you will get it with the Thermo control especially in colder weather. As for ease of use for the wife. I can say that my wife would never be able to maintain a traditional woodstove but with my varm it is so easy she loads and lights it in less than 10 mins and walks away with the house warm for 10-24 hrs depending on weather. I hope you find something that can fill your needs good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree and get where everyone is coming from. I am hoping to make it a year on the down draft boiler alone and have storage for next year. I should mention that although my wife works all day she is only on the other side of the farm in the family store. She and my father and law (who rarely leaves the farm) shared loading our stove every 4-5 hours while I am gone for 24. I'm prepared to burn a lot of wood this year while I save a do more research for storage.

I agree and get where everyone is coming from. I am hoping to make it a year on the down draft boiler alone and have storage for next year. I should mention that although my wife works all day she is only on the other side of the farm in the family store. She and my father and law (who rarely leaves the farm) shared loading our stove every 4-5 hours while I am gone for 24. I'm prepared to burn a lot of wood this year while I save a do more research for storage.
I'd say that if you need to refuel your stove every 4 to 5 hours all day every day, your first order of business should be tightening up your house

Reactions: Coal Reaper
Yeah I've been working on it all year. Old farm house. But, it's not really that bad the problem is I was heating it with an insert with a blower and the fire box is small but it was all I had to work with for our first winter. Add that with the external chimney and your losing most your heat.

It's an insert so a lot of the radiant heat goes up the chimney. And the chimney is on the outside of the house where it can't radiate heat like say my parents with one that runs up the center of their home

It's an insert so a lot of the radiant heat goes up the chimney. And the chimney is on the outside of the house where it can't radiate heat like say my parents with one that runs up the center of their home
Oh! It's absorbing heat from the back of the insert and conducting it outside. Makes some sense.

Yes plus if u figure that because the insert is inside the old fireplace most of the heat that radiates off of a free standing stove is lost with this

Status
Not open for further replies.