Thermo wiring question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
I picked up a Lux 9100e thermo and have a wiring question. I have it hooked to RH and W1. Question is do I need the RH to RC loop that comes connected? Problem I am having is that the burn pot will fill with pellet , ignite without the fan going..not good! Anyone know if it is a wiring issue or a programing issue?

The thermostat shouldn't control your fans at all-- all the thermostat does is call for heat, or not. all the actions of the stove are still run by the stove itself.

Thanks, understand that the stove controls it. Wonder why it does not come on. Had a cheap slide two connect thermo and all worked fine. Went to program and for some reason fan not going on when the burn pot fills and ignites.

to torubleshoot, un hook the thermostat-- just jump the connection and see if it still does it.

Brian, jump which connection?

the thermostat wiring on your stove's control board.

That's all a thermostat does-- completes, or breaks the circuit.

completed, the stove runs on high
broken, the stove goes to low/off depending on how your stove works.

that's all the thermostat does.

So, if you complete the circuit (unplug the thermostat wires, leave wires pluged into stove board, twist tie them together to complete the circuit) and the stove should function normally.

If the stove works/fans/etc like this, it's going to be very strange. because you either have a circuit or you don't, not a 3rd option where the stove calls for heat but doesn't circulate it.

I have a Harman stove and in the directions it says to remove the jumper / loop between Rh and Rc. Might be different for different stoves.

• RC
    The RC terminal is the 24-volt cooling power supply.
  • RH
    The RH terminal is the 24-volt heating power supply.

There is no cooling circuit to supply. jumper should be removed.

W/B and Rh are the general ones to plug in for pellet stoves. If you have a separate fan control option on the thermo, you can sometimes use the G instead of W/B, but the fan must be set to come on with the call for heat on the themo unit.

Was thinking same with jumper..wanted to confirm.

i'm no expert :D but it makes sense to me to remove it. Otherwise you have a new leg of a circuit with no complete path, which may cause the whole thing to not complete a circuit.

The jumper will no affect the operation either way. Leave it in or take it out, makes no difference.

I lowered the delay from 5 minutes to 2...will see if that works. Swing is at 3.

I picked up a Lux 9100e thermo and have a wiring question. I have it hooked to RH and W1. Question is do I need the RH to RC loop that comes connected? Problem I am having is that the burn pot will fill with pellet , ignite without the fan going..not good! Anyone know if it is a wiring issue or a programing issue?

Your T-stat has nothing to do with either of the fans on your stove.

Your T-Stat wiring should be on Rh and W1 and the T-Stat set to heat.

Make certain your battery monitor (option switch #6 is set to on) be certain to move the Temperature mode setting anytime you change an option switch, otherwise the change is never seen. The T-Stat reads its options only when powered up or the Temperature mode switch is changed. I have a cousin to the one you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.