Thermometer before or after damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eholmz

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
southern NH
I just installed a Weso wood/coal burning stove last weekend. I installed a damper halfway up the stovepipe, before it goes into the chimney. I am wondering where to place the stovepipe thermometer. Do I put it before the damper to make sure that I don't overheat my stove? Or after the damper so I can make sure it's hot enough not to leave too much creosote? Maybe both? Anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

After I saw your post I closed the damper in the pipe in my stove that is burning right now in my office. After giving it time to settle in I measured the temp of the pipe before and after the damper with an infrared thermo. The pipe is 28 degrees hotter after the damper than before it.

Put it before the damper. And put a thermo on the stove itself to see how hot it runs. Frequently flue temps have no relation to stove body temperatures.

Great. That's good to know. I wasn't sure if there would be a big difference in temperature before and after the damper. I appreciate the help. You're burning in VA already! Is it that cold?

Chilly and wet. And I just wanted to burn something. The heat will waft up the stairs to keep us from waking up cold in the morning. Ain't no other heat source in this joint but trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.