Thermometer for Napoleon 1100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puknutz

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Southern Maryland
Does anyone have any documentation on the proper temp range for a Napoloen 1100 wood stove?
Also, any idea on the proper placement of the thermometer?
I have seen photos with them on the stove pipe itself, but I am not sure how accurate the readings would be.

Well, manufacturer instruction say 500 to 600 under trivet (stove top) for maximum heat output and efficiency. I have two magnetic thermometers and an IR. stove top I peak 700 - 750, trivet typically runs anywhere between 100 - 200 degree difference depending upon the cycle. Trivet usually get between 350-500. I keep one magnetic on the stove pipe 18 inches from the pipe - stove joint, and one on the trivet center back near the pipe.

Accuracy is a not a huge deal with the stoves, just a guide. I had fun moving the thermometers around and shooting with the IR as you can see. Typically once I get the swirls of flames from the top down I got no smoke and the pipe is around 300 outside, trivet is 200 and stove top is about 400. I start to close the air intake to 4 then let that go for a while by then the pipe is up to 400 and the stove top is 550 and the trivet is about 350, then I go down to about 3 and wait a while then the pipe is about 325 again, stove top 600 - 700 and the trivet is 400 - 500.

To make a simple question even longer, with the IR I can tell temperature varies quite a bit from spot to spot whether stove top, trivet, or pipe. Again accuracy is not a huge concern. If it is that start of the cycle and most of the flame is near the front I can have 40 - 60 degree difference from the front to the back corner.

Three things I look for other then the thermometers is

1) flame swirling from the top to the side and down (cool effect).
2) Chimney output. What I like about the small fire box is it does not take long to get it hot enough to have zero smoke/steam
3) Firebrick color / glass clean. Normally once a week I get a light haze and darker haze on the bottom left and right corners about an inch but it all comes off with no effort with a wet paper towel.

Long answer to a simple question but as the first year wood burner I was quite curious and anal about getting everything right. Hope this helps and didn't put you to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.