1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

thermometer placement on insert

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by chris5150, Nov 21, 2012.

1. chris5150

chris5150 New Member

Loc:
    East Central WI
    Newbie here with a quadrafire 2700i fireplace insert. Where do you put a thermometer on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nola mike

nola mike Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Richmond/Montross, Virginia
    I clip a candy thermometer in the airspace. Doesn't give you stovetop or stack temp, but gives you a reproducible measure of the relative heat output of the stove.
  3. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    inserts suck her thermometers. I have a FPX33 and it sucks for thermometers. I have had it for 6 years now and you need an IR thermometer to measure the temperature. The only places to stick the magnetic ones are on the metal around the glass and on the top of the stove, behind the upper air exit grate.

BUT the metal around the glass is a few hundred below the glass temp and the top is next to impossible to see and meaningless once the blower is on.

I have given up on the magnetic thermometer and only use the IR thermometer. Its not as convenient, but its the only thing that works. It was about $30 at harborfreight and does the job well.
    topknot likes this.