thermometer placement on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris5150

Burning Hunk
Nov 21, 2012
East Central WI
Newbie here with a quadrafire 2700i fireplace insert. Where do you put a thermometer on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I clip a candy thermometer in the airspace. Doesn't give you stovetop or stack temp, but gives you a reproducible measure of the relative heat output of the stove.

inserts suck her thermometers. I have a FPX33 and it sucks for thermometers. I have had it for 6 years now and you need an IR thermometer to measure the temperature. The only places to stick the magnetic ones are on the metal around the glass and on the top of the stove, behind the upper air exit grate.

BUT the metal around the glass is a few hundred below the glass temp and the top is next to impossible to see and meaningless once the blower is on.

I have given up on the magnetic thermometer and only use the IR thermometer. Its not as convenient, but its the only thing that works. It was about $30 at harborfreight and does the job well.

Reactions: topknot
Status
Not open for further replies.