Thermometers say 575 to around 600 for upper end operating range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Stove says 500 to 700 and a piece on here says 1100 to 1200 for non cat secondary burners.That's quite a jump from the 500 to 700 in my manual.What's safe, what's overburn?

The diiference is stove top, and internal temps. After going through steel, cast iron or soapstone heat gets absorbed and disapated. Inside where that pretty flame dances...it takes on those higher temps.

Secondary combustion happens at 1100 to 1200 deg F. A catalyst alters the smokes "flash point" chemically, to something like 600 F maybe 500, INSIDE THE STOVE.

But the differences your speaking of are stove top and internal. Over fire for steel stove, like yours, is in the 700 range. Give or take. A good magnetic thermo on the top, helps the best, some go for that IR gun. I prefer a ....phaser?

Don't know on your stove, but 700* stove top temp on my Blaze King is fairly normal.

The book says overfire is when the stove is glowing red. Steel starts glowing in teh 1000* area.

if your stove was running at 1100F I guarantee that you would be calling 911.

Don't think mine has gotten quite that hot, but I have gone back 900* many times. I don't worry about it.

700 top end,got it.Thanks all.

Woodstock says the stovetop temp on their stoves = roughly half the firebox temp. By this rule, the 1100-1200 you mention would = 550-600 stovetop, a temp at which I would be comfortable cruising for as long as the stove would do it. 700 as a peak, sure, but I wouldn't want to cruise there. Of course, YMMV with the Rangeley. . .some guys with steel stoves talk about running 700-800, then again some of them have had issues with welds cracking. . .

And the magnetic thermometers can be off by 150 degrees or so add to the problem of running at the correct temperature.

oldspark said:
And the magnetic thermometers can be off by 150 degrees or so add to the problem of running at the correct temperature.

This is why I have an infrared handheld aka "The Judge" to verify accuracy plus I can check other areas to determine temperature variations plus pick a good spot for the stovetop thermometer.. The infrared's are fun when you have cats too lol.. Try it and you'll see what I mean!

Ray

Stump_Branch said:
The diiference is stove top, and internal temps. After going through steel, cast iron or soapstone heat gets absorbed and disapated. Inside where that pretty flame dances...it takes on those higher temps.

Secondary combustion happens at 1100 to 1200 deg F. A catalyst alters the smokes "flash point" chemically, to something like 600 F maybe 500, INSIDE THE STOVE.

But the differences your speaking of are stove top and internal. Over fire for steel stove, like yours, is in the 700 range. Give or take. A good magnetic thermo on the top, helps the best, some go for that IR gun. I prefer a ....phaser?

+1, good post.

Have a new Meeco, a new1 from Rocky's stove and a Rutland that doesn't go below 200 for reasons unknown (it came with the Vigilant we had.The 2 new 1's have a 75 deg diff and the 3rd 1 the Rutland is off by 100.Figures huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.