thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatty

Jan 1, 2010
north east Mass.
ok i posted this here before and no replys, the thermostat that came w the stove (bought it used)doesnt look like the one in the parts list and i dont think it works. ive read posts about them and my question is can i use any old thrmostat, the one shown is a honeywell but doesnt give the model or part # if some one has one of these can they tell me the part # or model # here is a pic

Attachments

• PU-DTSTAT.jpg
    PU-DTSTAT.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 439
You should be able to use any thermostat that a utilizes mechanical type of contact for the output (like a relay in a digital thermostat, or even an old fashion honeywell round dial that has a wet mercury switch). Many electronic thermostats are designed specifically for low voltage (24VAC) heating systems, and IMO would not work on a pellet stove because they have a solid state output switch that requires the 24VAC signal. These also typically use the 24VAC signal to power the thermostat, so that is only runs on battery when your house power is out.

You can test if your thermostat has a mechanical output witht a digital multimeter. Set it to ohms, and the lowest range possible. Connect the 2 leads together and make a note of the reading (should be close to 0 ohms). Set the thermostat a few degree below the current room temp. Now connect the meter leads to the Thermostat output pins. The meter should read an open circuit. Now raise the thermostat up above the room temp. The meter should now read close to what you first measured with the meter leads connected together. (say a maximum of 5 ohms higher). If that's the case you should be good to go.

If you don't have meter, then you can try just raising and lowering the temp. If you here a "click" as you pass the current room temp, then you can pretty sure it has a relay for the output and you should be good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Carl

Just about ALL of the electronic thermostats work just fine with the Quadrafires and many other stoves. The stoves just want a closed set of contacts and it doesn't care if it is a mechanical switch, mercury, or solid state relay. Do a search of this site to find out if it works with yours. If it says it needs a 24V thermostat or a millivolt one, just about all of the electronic ones provide that.

Go to Home Depot, plunk down $25 and get the RiteTemp programmable one and be done with it.

I suspect that thermostat will work, but without knowing the exact model number there is no way to be certain. One way to be sure is put a battery in it, switch to heat mode, call for heat and verify you have continuity across R and W; don't call for heat and you should have no continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.