These guys go big or go home!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That deck/buzz saw makes pretty quick work of slab wood. Nice saw buck too.

Shame they don't know much about PPE

First thing I thought of too.

No doubt, these guys have Talent. And, way too much time on their hands. They have a couple hundren thousand dollars worth of machinery working to save the price of 10-15 cords of wood a year.
Just my two cents

Its only cool because its big but in reality it doesn't look like that much fun nor really that much fun building it. I'll take my 1940's splitter over that splitter and I mean it.

mtarbert said:
They have a couple hundren thousand dollars worth of machinery working to save the price of 10-15 cords of wood a year.

If you combined a couple hundred thousand dollars with their talents, you would see a lot more than an old buzz saw, an old elevator and a large splitter fabricated out of stuff laying around.

I agree with y'all on this.

In fact I take it back a few notches to the place where my splitters are my mauls and the rental unit I have talked about endlessly.

Many times I have done the math on my time and energy and spending countless hours on building extensive equipment to "save time and money" is usually an illusion.

K.I.S.S ....

Now if you like building extra stuff and you have time and are treating it as a hobby then....

Fill your boots.

For now I want to fill my wood stacks slow and steady for minimal cost and time.

That being said I would love to own my own splitter, multiple saws, a better trailer, a bigger tractor, etc, etc.

I just have to keep the equipment lust in check until someone wins the lottery and shares it with me.

Give me AC/DC Thunder and the Indiana Boys We will race them with standing timber. Using atleast 100 gallons of fuel less. Whatever there trying to do seems the gas man still wins. The big saw is no faster than two people working a saw buck. It is very cool just seems there trading one bill for a much Larger one.

Growing up on the farm, we had a buzzsaw like that and we didn't just use it for slabs. It was a lot of grunt work to lift logs up onto it.

As for that splitter... what a waste of metal. It's not very portable and feeding big stuff into it ties up more iron and manpower. They could have made a splitting attachment for the end of the 444E loader or on the stick of the hoe. That way it would be portable.

might as well buy their wood. probably cost less than fuel, equipment maint. or propane! Trading a buck for a quarter, and bustin' a** to do it. And any splitter that is running off that much horse power better be splittin full size redwoods!!!!

These guys didn't set out to see if they could make the most efficient system they could.
They used stuff they had lying around, they used their knowledge, and they pooled their skills in a massive display of good old
American, let's get it done. They know it's overkill, but that helped to contribute to the fun and bonding of family and friends that only this kind of
hard labor can instill. I bet those young girls feel a lot of pride when they see what they and their fathers have accomplished.
I'm happy for them, that they'll grow up with that pride and a great perspective on what it takes to get something done, hard work and respect.
Not everything is about how cheaply it can get done.

offroadaudio said:
These guys didn't set out to see if they could make the most efficient system they could.
They used stuff they had lying around, they used their knowledge, and they pooled their skills in a massive display of good old
American, let's get it done. They know it's overkill, but that helped to contribute to the fun and bonding of family and friends that only this kind of
hard labor can instill. I bet those young girls feel a lot of pride when they see what they and their fathers have accomplished.
I'm happy for them, that they'll grow up with that pride and a great perspective on what it takes to get something done, hard work and respect.

For a monster garage show yes...What there left with is a very expensive fuel drinking operation. This isn't something I would teach my three girls. Fun maybe but why not build a whole log processer. Not a lot of thought thrown into a lot of work and still need lots of manpower to get the job done.

smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:

For a monster garage show yes...Exactly!

What there left with is a very expensive fuel drinking operation. Agreed, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

This isn't something I would teach my three girls. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean discussions about fuel consumption don't take place in that family.

Fun maybe but why not build a whole log processer. Not a lot of thought thrown into a lot of work and still need lots of manpower to get the job done. Exactly - man power = bringing the family together, bringing the friends together.

offroadaudio said:
smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:

For a monster garage show yes...Exactly!

What there left with is a very expensive fuel drinking operation. Agreed, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

This isn't something I would teach my three girls. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean discussions about fuel consumption don't take place in that family.

Fun maybe but why not build a whole log processer. Not a lot of thought thrown into a lot of work and still need lots of manpower to get the job done. Exactly - man power = bringing the family together, bringing the friends together.

Not talking cheep talking smart. Why burn wood? Efficiency could have been done, but this is a wood fourm and that is a monster garage show...Thats all.

lobsta1 said:
How is this one for efficiency?
Al

Now your talking...

lobsta1 said:
How is this one for efficiency?
Al

faster but I think you would have trouble doing the same chunks done with the OP post equipment. And $30,000 for just the attachment would go a long way to the oil man for the adverage person, But who am I to talk. I've got a 4x4 tractor, 37ton splitter, farmi wench, ASV 4520 tracked skidsteer, skidsteer logsplitter, grapple bucket, dump truck, and lots of other play toys. Making wood chips is fun and I can use all the toys to keep the place running.
In the OP post it looks to me like it is a Huge farm operation so they have the equipment and skills to work with and are using it to help clean up fence rows etc. Lots of BIG wolf trees that need to come down etc. Makes the cost being spread around so cost can be justified. With the skills, tools, and access to scrap you can make lots of really usefull equipment for very little cost. Log splitter pic'ed out of pocket cost was $127. It will splitt those really BIG ones from the seat with very little back strain and then split the chunks as fast as you can put then on the cradle. 30gpm at 3000psi makes things interesting.
leaddog

Attachments

• mar18-10 003.jpg
    mar18-10 003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.