They were so good!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
this is a picture of one of the beefsteak tomatoes I was getting until now, Late Blight has set in and destroyed every tomato plant except for those in greenhouse. All the vines, and fruit are black! When LB starts, you see some wilting of the leaves, then some dead spots, the some blackened areas on the stems. Within a week, they are all dead with nothing green. LB can't winter over except on infected potato tubers being held over. Maybe also in some compost piles if they don't freeze. The extension service says this LB comes in on seedlings imported from out of state. Small seedling plugs go to two local greenhouses where they are potted up and sold to the big box store. The spores just sit waiting for cool wet weather, then they just take over like some alien invasion from outer space. They are airborne and can travel 40 to 50 miles. When I saw this stuff start, we picked off our plants and got 5, 5 gallon pails. A couple days later, I had to toss out one pail full because they showed signs of being infected. we made tomato relish, dilled green tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and tomatoes canned with summer squash. We were up canning until 1 AM.

But, this winter when the cold wind blows, we have our shelves full of our summer vegetables. I have some nice pictures of when they were doing well. I’ll be busy plotting out next year’s gardening tactics.

Attachments

• !cid_8957A8FD28B14DE8AAC50C3F85716D48@LarryPC.png
    [email protected]
    30.5 KB · Views: 148
That's one beautiful tomato! M-m-m-m

Reactions: ScotO
Scotty, come up to the upper class.
Olive oil - and a bit of basil, and maybe a slice of cheese.....on rye or a good NY Bagel.

Or, just sliced and laid on a platter with olive oil, basil and good.....mozzerella. Sop it all up with some warm crusty italian, french or portugese loaf.

No Hellmans.
:cool:

Don't listen to them Scotty. Throw in a few slices of crispy bacon and make it a real sammich.;)

(for the record, I love and often do the maters, evoo, basil and fresh moz. - try a light drizzle of balsamic to give it another flavor profile.==c)

Status
Not open for further replies.