1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

They've GOT to be kidding!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by FanMan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    So I'm putting a small addition on my house before putting on a new metal roof, and glanced at the little label that's stapled on the end of each 2x6 I bought at the local Lowes:

[​IMG]

I'm just glad I don't live in California!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Have to satisfy the lawyers.... Stupid for sure.
  3. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Yeah pretty stupid warning.
  4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    That is why wood needs to be burned!==c
    firebroad likes this.
  5. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Warning, living doesn't end well.
    Warning, standing in the path of a speeding vehicle with no brakes or steering may result........
    Warning, reading warnings too slowly may result in sudden death.
    There's a road sign as you near Traverse City that says "Do not pass when oncoming traffic is present". Really? Jeesh
    I'll bite, was it "treated wood"?
    Backwoods Savage and firebroad like this.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Warning living always results in death.

California really needs to get with the program and just put itself out of its misery.
  7. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    It was NOT treated wood, just an ordinary Douglas Fir 2x6.
  8. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Warning...living causes death.
  9. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I *almost* wonder if this one is a joke... almost.
  10. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Apparently it only applies to those who live in California. All others need not worry
    PapaDave likes this.
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Sometimes it seems as though folks think everything causes cancer . . . at least in California.
  12. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    If wood dust is a carcinogen,I should've been taking a dirt nap 20 yrs ago already.Starting with shop class in 7th grade I've been around the stuff pretty much daily ever since.They also say that about bacon (though I only have it maybe 2-3 days month,tops),my 1 Diet Coke every morning & a few other things that we love to eat/drink.

Just leave me alone & let me live my own life.These damn pencil pushers need to mind their own business.
    fishingpol and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    I once read the warning label on a box of q-tips. I had no idea.

What if we find out California causes cancer?
  14. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    well, Douglas Fir is a softwood, cousin of Pine.....and we all know what that means....surprised there was only 1 warning, and why isn't it also in Spanish/French/Deutsch?
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I still can't believe they give you free chicklets with every piece of electronic equipment you buy. I know they say "Do Not Eat" on the package but I just can't help myself...... :rolleyes:

WARNING: Hearth.com contains information known to the State Of (whereever) that may cause one to spend extraordinary amounts of time evaluating trees while saying "Yup, this one soon", or cause one to expend financial resources purchasing multiple chainsaws, splitters, ATV's, tractors and other assorted equipment. This equipment may cause accidental death or dismemberment!

This information has also been known to lead to possible mental illness with symptoms of muttering under one's breath incoherent phrases about "secondaries", "moisture content" or "light-off temps". Victims of this illness have also been known to offer to exchange neighbors fresh delivered firewood for old, gray, weathered firewood under the pretense of "helping out".

Persons exhibiting one or a combination of the above symptoms should be handed a Super Cedar and gently guided back to their own property using a soothing tone of voice and plenty of reassurance.

;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol
  16. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    With all the day laborors here doing construction here at least spanish.
  17. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    I guess thats what happens when you have too much democracy, lol!
    Seriously, as many know this comes from Prop 65. Cali law says citizens can get a legally binding referendum question put on the ballet by getting X # of signatures. Prop 65 as passed very generally = anyone selling a product containing a known carcinogen must include a label stating so. Seems reasonable. But then, what's the definition of carcinogen? Well "a substance or agent causing cancer". But what does "cause" mean? We don't have the science to say what caused a certain case of cancer, so instead we use an increased rate of cancer. But where's the threshold? A 10% increase? 1%? Based on what exposure?
    Here's the official list. http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/p65single072012.pdf
    Some nasty chemicals on there that I wouldn't want in my Corn Flakes, and yup, wood dust is on there. Interestingly wood isn't on there, just the dust. So in this case the consumer creates the carcinogen by altering the product.
    Bottom line to me: For every complex problem there is a simple answer, and it's wrong.
  18. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Thats what happens when you have to duck and weave around the bottom feeding lawyers. Sad commentary on how far our society has sunk.