Thick Moss on Oak - Do You Remove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
Most all of the Oregon Oak I have scrounged this year has thick carpets of moss on them. I took the extra time to scrape off the moss. I have another friend that scrounged from the same oak trees I was on, and he doesn't bother taking off the moss. He says it's a waste of time.

I have to admit, stopping and scraping each piece of wood that has moss on it, while cutting and splitting does take considerably more time. My thinking for scraping off the moss, is that I get less mess in the house and woodshed. Moss holds wood chips and dirt. Also, the moss would seem to hold moisture, and slow the seasoning time down a bit, and also holds more mold and mildew. Obviously, I can't scrape all of the moss off, but I get 80-90% of it off anyway.

What do you do?

Oregon Bigfoot

Wasting time and working against yourself. Dried moss is good fire starter.

The moss should dry quite fast and pose no problem so long as you stack the wood off the ground and get air circulation. Hard to beat the wind for drying.

Unless you have a buyer for it removing it is a waste of time.

I tried removing moss from my Coast Live Oak but it just took too much time. I found that if it's left to season long enough, a lot of the bark will pop off on it's own, saving you all that work.

I cut up alot of wood today with moss on it and being a newbie, didn't think twice about removing it. My thought as well, with be plenty dry by next year, and makes good fire starting.

With the many times I handle the wood before it come in the house, most of the larger chunks of moss dries & falls off.
If it makes it to the stove, it gets burned.
Cleaner to handle if it's knocked off though, lees dirt to make a mess when going into the house.
It's only on the north side anyway :)

Guessing 98% of the wood I cut is standing dead or fallen.The only thing I remove that might be stuck to the wood is any vines,dead or otherwise.Poison Ivy rarely bothers me,but even in winter I remove it all.Even if its just Virginia Creeper,its a nuisance.Any moss I leave it alone,it either falls off or gets burned eventually.

Guess I've never seen wood that had that much moss or lichens on it to bother scraping it off . . . and most of the time by the time I've cut the tree down, bucked it up, thrown it in my ATV trailer, thrown it into the truck, thrown it into a pile, split it and thrown the splits to the side, stack the splits, toss the splits into a wheelbarrow and stack the splits in the woodshed, move the splits to the stack on the covered porch after seasoning for two years (one year outside, one year in the woodshed) and then haul the wood inside . . . by then most of the moss and lichens have dried up and/or fallen off.

Status
Not open for further replies.