Thimble insulating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roxul or other non-combustible insulation only. Pink fiberglass insulation is combustible....

What about the ends of the thimble they contact combustibles ,the outside of the wall and the inside of the wall

From the Duravent manual, page 12 https://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L550_W.pdf
The Wall Thimble ensures the clearance to combustible material is maintained to make a safe installation. Non-Combustible insulation (as defined earlier in this text) may be installed within the thimble and clearance to combustible distance if desired. Note: Fiberglass insulation is NOT APPROVED

Most manufacturers are the same but look up the specific one for the venting you are using. The manufacturer is the final word on installation as it is approved to their specs and tested as such...

I have the same manual but it is a little confusing it says with in the thimble I do not mean the part that actually touch the pipe but the outer Area of the thimble

That's why I posted the above, it makes the distinction between the two spaces.... still recommend Roxul or similar

Can you use pink insulation around the outer area of the thimble in the wall

I used a hole saw to cut the 8" hole round for the thimble, so the outside circumference of the thimble touches the existing insulation and wall cladding snugly. As for the void inside the thimble between the pipe and the thimble wall I filled with roxul insulation. Both thimble plates I sealed, both the outer edges and around where the pipe comes through with silicone inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.