Thimblesizer install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinmanic

Nov 14, 2009
Northern VA
Hi all. I'm putting a new Hearthstone wood stove in place of an old cast iron model. Chimney is outside masonry (brick) lined with clay. Clean and in good shape. The thimble in place is an 8" fireclay.
The vent outlet on the new stove is 6".
After researching the issue and reading here, I bought a 6" to 8" thimble sizer from Elmer's Pipe (stainless 22 guage because I didn't want it to corrode). I have questions about the install.

Should I place that sizer flush with the face of the clay thimble? It fits pretty tight, but do I need to use a sealant between the metal sizer and the clay thimble? If so, it RTV silicone the wy to go?

How about where the stove pipe slides through the sizer (I'm going to use heat-fab 6" stainless liner as stove pipe, mostly for looks, as this stove is going in the kitchen...)?
Do I need to seal the stove pipe to the thimble sizer? If so, it will be hotter than the outside of the sizer. Is 500 degree RTV the right choice? I profess I do not know how hot a stove pipe from a wood burning appliance gets.

I was planning to slide the 6" stovepipe through the sizer "doughnut" all the way to the back of the thimble where it meets the vertical flue, about an inch past that so any dripping will go down to the outside cleanout.

It is ok to not have the 6" stovepipe insulated as it passes through center of the thimble?

I would like to pick up the items I might need today, as I plan to work this tomorrow. Any quick advice is appreciated. I know at least one of the experts here is familiar with the thimblesizer useage.

Thanks a ton.

-Craig

Yeah, you shouldn't need any sealant.

Thanks. I also got a PM from summit in Maine who has installed these. I'm good to go. Flush with the clay thimble (careful not to crack it), no sealant because this is a wood stove.

By the way, this is a Heritage install in a 1800 sqft 2 story home. I've got a custom soaptone planking hearth in and a custom soapstone random tiled heat shield/wall that is about 2/3 installed. It is going to look great. Goal is to have heat by Thanksgiving. I'll post a picture thread of the project when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.