Things to look for in a used stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
Maybe due to being cold, frusterated everytime i split wood because it has be be so small, maybe the short burn times, or just this place called hearth....Have decided to upgrade the stove. I dig being warm what can i say.

While i wish i could buy new, its just not in the budget. However lots of hours searching brings some quality used stoves to our attention. Im not looking at pre epa or anything more than a few years old. Short of things i figure id have to replace anyways, gaskets and such. are there things to look for when buying a used unit?

We are looking at cast stoves (was really trying for a soapstone, alas the stars just wont align for us). Right now a jotul oslo or vc defiant. When i go to look at them are there specific things or areas to look at/for? I know warping around doors, baffels and tubes, firebrick (indication), gaskets, cat if present, but i fear theres more i maybe overlooking. And i cant afford to be cold, or make a mistake any helpful tips from owners, users, horror stories and success will help.

Thanks i look forward to writing nice install and refirb posts.

Thanks begreen, both of those are great articles.

I am not considering an insert any more. From information ive gathered here, from some dealers, and i guess my own opinion i think a hearth mounted free standing stove is the ticket. Cost, availabilty, firebox size tend to be the advantage of a free standing unit.

I was hoping for specifics, like "under the left rear leg of an oslo...." or a different model had this to look for.

Overall any help is welcomed, no pun, but i cant afford to get burned.

Oh that article helped with subtle signs of an overfired unit that i was unaware of.

I know you said you want a cast stove, but something to consider, I think the best chance of getting a good used stove is to go with a plate steel stove. There is little that can go wrong with them, usually it is something easy to fix like a door gasket.

The cast stoves have a lot more parts and need rebuilding on occasion. Also my understanding is parts for VC stoves are quite expensive.

There are some great deals out their if you are patient and lucky.

I picked up this nice Regency for only $250 on CL several years ago, and am very happy with it. :)

Attachments

• dog stove1165.jpg
    dog stove1165.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 235
What's the budget and must this stove be a rear vented model? A side loader may be an issue, especially if the intent is to have it partially in the fireplace cavity so it is important to have the big picture here. What size are you looking for, ~2 cu. ft.? Can you post a shot of the existing setup, together with some dimensions for the fireplace?

If funds are tight another consideration will be the cost of the hearth extension. That may determine the stove choice. Some stoves require a very well insulated hearth, others less so.

Pictures are pretty much impossible. My phone is the only internet connection i have.

That being sai the opening is 37 wide by 28 tall. If i can fit something in there a top vent could work. I have an ample sized hearth so most of the stove can sit out of the opening, if not all of it. I will probably do some sort of removable extension, as it will only be ember protection. A side loader could help there. Yes i would like something over 2 cu.ft. something like and oslo could do well. Although if i could go bigger i will.

When i go to "pick up" are there things to look for?

Stump_Branch said:
Pictures are pretty much impossible. My phone is the only internet connection i have.

That being sai the opening is 37 wide by 28 tall. If i can fit something in there a top vent could work. I have an ample sized hearth so most of the stove can sit out of the opening, if not all of it. I will probably do some sort of removable extension, as it will only be ember protection. A side loader could help there. Yes i would like something over 2 cu.ft. something like and oslo could do well. Although if i could go bigger i will.

With a 28" tall hearth you could fit an Oslo in there with the short leg kit. But side loading might be challenging.

Also, an Vermont Castings Encore would fit (be careful if you buy used. They can be dodgy and expensive to get them in good working order.)

The Heritage would not fit, so be thankful I didn't sell you mine.

The Lopi Leyden would fit (barely, but it would fit).

Browning, im real sorry to hear about the mansfield. Some people.

I was hoping for the advice you get about looking at a car for example. Rather than kick the tires, may want to pop the hood...this model year had these issues type.

While this site gives me great info, i admit to the need to still learn.

Stump_Branch said:

I am getting forgetful so I make a checklist of the specific things I want to check on the model of the used stove under consideration. The items on the list, I find on this site. I go down the list and check off each item. I had a seller hell bent on distracting me, or he was just a friendly guy. Showed me all of his pet reptiles. Told me of his ant problem. Gave me the low down on his cats and his dog's cancer. Had his neighbor over to add to the din. Told the history of his grandpas farm stove, etc. Finally asked me what I thought of the stove.

I showed him my check list and told him I had to go through it before I could tell. Didn't buy.

I also take a bright flashlight and a cheap pocket digital camera. You can stick the camera in places and get some very clear pictures of areas of the stove otherwise difficult to see. I expect to find things and I do. But, the three used stoves I have purchased, I was able to determine the problems were fixable before buying because I had done some research about the stove before the visit.

So far, I have not been burned, knock on wood. I'm one pun up. :cheese:

Stump_Branch said:
Browning, im real sorry to hear about the mansfield. Some people.

I was hoping for the advice you get about looking at a car for example. Rather than kick the tires, may want to pop the hood...this model year had these issues type.

While this site gives me great info, i admit to the need to still learn.

- Bring a bright flashlight and shine it inside the stove. Look for light escaping from the stove in spots where light should not be escaping.

- Warped parts: Including, but not limited to; doors, firebacks, burn tubes, catylists.

- White coloring on black cast iron. This usually indicated really bad or consistant over firing.

-Cost of repairs, if any. Example would be, I don't know, say six soap stones are cracked on the stove you are looking at... or the catalytic combustor and assembly on a VC stove. If you are looking at a newer, but used, VC Encore or Defiant and they are asking $1000+ and it needs a catalyst and/or assembly, you need to do cost comparisons between the cost of the used stove+parts versus the cost of a new stove. Parts for previous models of VC cat stoves can run you north of $600.

$600 In Parts + Cost of Used Stove = A new stove in many cases and only a few hundred shy of a New VC stove.

-If you need to travel to the stove a long distance, ask for close up photos of the stove. Both interior and exterior.

-Feign ignorance and ask "how do you know how hot the stove gets", if they respond with "When it feels too hot I turn the air down", run from that stove. If they mention they use a stove thermometer it will at least give you some sort of understanding that they probably didn't burn the crap out of the stove (no guarantee, but you are at least eliminating the obvious)

Stump_Branch said:
Rather than kick the tires, may want to pop the hood...this model year had these issues type.

In regards to this specific statement and how I have shopped for stoves, the example I can give you is the Encore I picked up today. It was a cat Encore made around 1990. Based on all the posts I have read, it has been mentioned by many others that the mid-90's on to the mid-to-late 00's had quality issues of varying degrees. People complained about everything from poor fit and finish, to seemingly thinner cast parts, to cracks, to short life span of stove, etc.

I also noted people that raved about, or wished they still had, their earlier (but still EPA approved) made stove before the issues started. Some of the negative reviews could be written off as poor wood, bad set-up, ignorance, etc. But, the shear number of negatives reviews on the stoves of a certain time span can not just be chalked up to user error. And the same can be said about the positive reviews of certain models from certain years when it comes to VC. Sure, some reviewers might just hate change of any degree, but there was still a pattern.

So, when I was making my decision, this was one of the things I kept in mind. That and the $350 price tag and it came with two working cat combustors.

Many here have picked up new Englander on clearance at excellent prices.. Everyone seems to love them and they make a nice stove for a great price.. Even not on special price they offer a decent price.. Bart has burned one for years and loves it..

Ray

Thanks, thats some good info. Flashlight, camera etc.
I never whould have thought to ask the how hot question, ignorance over here assumes people burn them with thermos...

Ah i wish i could.fit an englander, a 3.5 cu.ft. box makes me drool. But alas im right.positive i cant shoe horn that beast.in. at least without considerable rework.

Status
Not open for further replies.