THINKING BOUT A NEW STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

electromagn8

Hearth Supporter
Feb 29, 2008
Duanesburg, NY
I'm giving some serious consideration to replacing my 1987 Lopi answer insert with a new Hearthstone Homestead hearthmount. The main reason is that i'm looking for longer burn times. I can't seem to get more than a 6 hour brun from the Lopi, Therefore, I have to start from scratch every night. I would also think that the 50,000 BTU's would also be a bonus to heat my 1600sf ranch house. Went to local dealer and price as follows $2,299 less 10% (because they have it in-stock) $139.00 rear heat shield, $249.00 fan kit, so, with tax $2,653.67 OTD. They will come out and price for a new liner etc.

In reading the brochure that they gave me, it states that the fan cannot be installed on the hearth mount unit, does anyone know why? (I will ask them as well) I am definately concerned about that because the Lopi does have a fan. Secondly will this stove burn that much more efficiently and use less wood that I normally use. I am probably burning 2 cord/season, but can't burn 24/7. I understand that 24/7 will burn more, I really just need to be able to stretch the burn time to about 8-8.5 hours.

Call Hearthstone and ask but I am willing to bet that the reason they don't want the fan kit used in an alcove or fireplace is that it will compete with the primary air intake for air. I was concerned about my Englander 30 set back in the fireplace with a rear mounted blower doing that but with it on that stove there hasn't been a problem.

This is my third year with an Answer insert. For occasional use its fine, but for 24/7 burning I also need something bigger. I'm going with the Woodstock Fireview. I have high hopes for longer burns and decreased wood consumption.

Rick

I have a homestead mounted through an internal chimney. I love it.

Hearthstone advertises 8 hour max. burns. I haven't seen that yet, but of course soapstone gives off some heat after the fire has died, makes for very easy start ups for the 24/7 burner.

Of course, I made some rookie mistakes my first year. My longest seasoning period was 8 months. With that the longest burn I got was 7.5 hours with some good coals (red oak). Typical burns with 20-22% moisture hardwoods were 6-7 hours. That said, I hope that next year I get 7-7.5 hour burns more consistantly when I burn red oak and sugar maple that is over 1 year seasoned. I won't expect as much from the willow, white pine, white birch, and elm that I also have (I scrounge my wood. I especially don't turn down wood that is already bucked to splittable lengths.)

I couldn't get a straight answer from the stove dealer about why I couldn't have a fan (I didn't call Hearthstone). So, I had a ceiling fan installed on my 8 1/4 ft ceiling. Very quiet and I do not need a stove fan now.

The Homesteads fire box is advertised as a 2 cu ft firebox, but if you measure it, it's less than that. You will have a hard time getting more than 6-8 hour burn time. I owned one and averaged 6-8 hr burns on low. Look for a bigger hearthstone or a catalytic Woodstock.

My brother has the heritage and he can leave it for 12 hours + and srill have hot coals, just add wood. I realize the difference in fireboxsize but I am opyomistic for 8.5 Is this out of the question? I think that I am also limited by the fact of how the hearth is built. Its kind of fireplace looking but the chimney is not open. It is to the right of the opening with a 6" Terra-cotta thimbe coming out the side.

8.5 is probably pushing it with the Homestead. I did have coals a few times after 9-10 hrs for rekindling, but it's more like a 6-8 hr burner. Look into the Woodstock Keystone or Palladian, people on here are getting 10hr plus burn times and the firebox is only 1.5 cu ft, a little smaller than the Homesteads.

Status
Not open for further replies.