Thinset & High Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Jan 18, 2007
I'm about to tile behind the wood stove and side wall. The label on the Premixed Thinset container stated it shouldn't be used in installations that exceeds 120*F. Would the temps on the walls directly behind and to the side get that high? This thinset I got now is FlorCraft brand. What other brands of thinset are recommended for higher temps?

It is acceptable for wall temps to get much higher than 120 deg. Each stove and setup will have different effects on wall temps, but exceeding 120 is pretty easy in most cases. I personally don't have a suggestion for tile glue, but I probably wouldn't use what you have. Someone should be along shortly with a suggest for the proper product to use.

That seems like a very low temperature - I've used thinset many times, mostly the powder that I have to mix, in places that saw much higher temps than that.

You didn't mention what stove or what the wall construction might be. I'm tempted to say this would be OK to use because a ventilated wall is unlikely to get above 120 for 99% of the time, and if one small area hit 130 or 140, I really doubt that would be a problem! Virtually every user here has reported being able to hold their hands on their wall protection - meaning less than 120.

UL does accept higher temps up to about 160 in many cases, but you will never get the stove as hot as they do (they use black painted walls, etc.)......

I'm guessing that is it the latex additive in your premix that lowers the service rating.

If you are really concerned, some epoxy tile mortars are rated for 160 continuous or use silicone in just the area you suspect to get hot - regular silicone is good to 400+ and high temp up to 600.

In general, Epoxy is specified for installations at continuous temps over 130.

I used PL premium and have not had any problems. I originally used thinset to stcik quartzite stone to plywood. sadly, the plywood to thinest failed. I should have used wire mesh and a scratch coat. I peeled off the stones and PL'ed them. That was 5 months ago and hey haven't moved yet. The premium has no odour copaed to the other pl linup

Thanks for the reply guys. I had my mind on the Lopi Leyen. It will be up to spec aka ventilated 1 inch air space open top and bottom. I used the premix on my hearth, no mixing no mess. I'll buy the motar and mix with water. Hoping to get this done and installed befor Christmass. Merry Christmass to u all.

What a great board!

Unless they came up with something new...that premix crap is not rated, from what I understand, per ANSI/UL use.

Status
Not open for further replies.