This article make me nervous, Possible action required by Connecticut woodburners!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmur

Nov 29, 2005
http://www.wfsb.com/news/10854987/detail.html

TORRINGTON, Conn. -- Some state lawmakers want to allow local communities to regulate wood-burning stoves.

Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Dan Kain reported the proposal involves giving local cities and towns authority to regulate the size of the stack on wood-burning stoves and how often they can be used.

Mike Dryansky, of Valley Fireplace and Stove, sells all manner of stoves, including wood, gas and pellets.

"That's crazy; very frankly, it's crazy," Dryansky said of the proposed legislation. "The chimney -- whether it's stainless steel or brick -- has to go up 2 feet above roofline and far enough to get 10 feet away on a horizontal through a combustible. That's a national rule."

Dryansky said the safety standards for stacks are set by federal and state laws and have remained the same for years. He said he sees no reason to change the regulations.

Kain reported the proposed legislation would prove difficult to enforce because a clean-burning stove doesn't put out any smoke unless the wood is wet or green.

The purpose of the legislation is to protect the health of neighbors who are affected by wood-stove emissions. Experts said if the stove is running properly, there should be no emissions.

My bet/hunch

They just want to force us all to use pellets or bio bricks so that can establish a tax base.
The really have no way of taxing the wood right now, just at the sellers end.
Burning of green wood creates the bad rap that wood burning stoves get.
Pellet stoves and burning bio-bricks would change all that.

This isnt the cottage industry it was during the first fuel crunch.
The Government will find a way to screw up most anything.

That's nuts. Torrington is just 13 miles away from where I lived in CT, though a different universe in someways from the Housatonic Valley. In WA state, King County there is regulation to assure clean burning. But its based on the density of smoke coming from the stack over a measured period of time. Burn dirty past the start up time and you can be fined. The idea of regulating stack size indicates the proposer knows nothing about wood burning.

A neighboring city put a temporary, one year ban on outside wood boilers within city limits. After the one year is up, the city will come to some conclusion on wether or not to make the ban permenent. I guess some citizens were complaining about the smoke from these "mini power plants". I must admit, I feel these kinds of wood boilers are more suited for rural areas.

Someone should contact the sponsor of the legislation and ask why he's proposing this. It could be something as DUMB as his brother-in-law's view is obstructed by a legally installed chimney, and he wants it shortened by 6 feet. He needs an education that should come from a professional inspector, or the State Fire Marshall.

No one can say a politician has a fully functioning brain.

I dont get it , so , whats the story ?

After watching the video I dont think the news crew knew what the story was either.
"or something like that" as he said.

Now i know where all the bad reporters are sent if they cant make it in the real news world.

UncleRich said:

No one can say a politician has a fully functioning brain.

no kidding , politicians with brains???? LMAO! this legislation is proof of that , by regulating the stacks they put their constituants at risk! everybody in that area that burns wood should be typing letters out to their representitives. thats the stupidest thing ive heard in years. burn your own house down because your neighbor doesnt like seeing a chimney sticking out of your roof? , and how about the smoke nuisence issue? its winter , close your windows!!!

granted , i can see where folks would complain about OWB furnaces, but a properly installed EPA approved woodstove pollutes less in an hour that starting up a car that needs a tune up (didnt see where they want to restrict that) people want to find reasons for pollution that do not affect them, they figure "im burning gas its clean see, no smoke" or electric (not looking at how its generated ) then jump in their car and drive off pushing more smoke out of their exhaust pipe than a woodstove will in an hour, and its not a natural pollutant, wood smoke is made up of natural compounds that nature deals with , gasoline is refined and has additives which are not natural substances , the pollutants from car engines produce elements which nature is not designed to deal with.

now im not saying that everyone should revert to horseback and recycle their cars , im just saying that people should look at what they propose before stripping sombody from a non-harmful practice that really doesnt begin to cause the problems they are wanting to solve

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.