This is what this guy said bout epa wood burning stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
What y’all think ?

IMG_3786.jpeg

One needs to get the stove whose output meets the BTU needs. That's what I read there.

My stove perfectly heats my 1700 sqft + 825 sqft basement home down to 5 F. Have not had the chance to see how far it works below that, but at 5 F I had 7-8 hr reloads.

Bottomline, methinks those guys deserve a lesson in decreasing the BTU needs of their dwelling. I.e. insulation and air sealing. Even if that's some newfangled concept to some of them...

Last edited:
No problem heating my Cape in an outage last year. Plus I don’t smoke up my neighborhood 😉

I grew up with old school stoves and prefer the newer stoves much better. Old days folks burned unseasoned wood leading to quick creosote buildup. The newer stoves require seasoned wood to work properly.

No problem heating my Cape in an outage last year. Plus I don’t smoke up my neighborhood 😉

I grew up with old school stoves and prefer the newer stoves much better. Old days folks burned unseasoned wood leading to quick creosote buildup. The newer stoves require seasoned wood to work properly.
My neighbor is the only one that smokes out the block, and that chit is annoying. And it stays like that for 20-25 minutes,

Reactions: Bobbob
20-25 mins isn't bad at all. Many people burning old stoves smoke the whole time until they are to coals
Yeah but it’s a lot of smoke tho, it travels to my house. But I know when he goes out and have it slow burning that’s when it’s smoking all day. When I start mine. It smokes 5-10mins and the smoke disappears

Reactions: Bobbob
I think a lot of this boils down to radiant heat verses convection heat. Most EPA stoves are shielded and give off a lot of convection heat thus the comment above about needing a blower. Radiant heat just feels better.

I agree with the above post. I have oil heat for nights, and it just isnt the same heat. Its easy to get fast heat, but its not radiant. No comparison in my book.

I think a lot of this boils down to radiant heat verses convection heat. Most EPA stoves are shielded and give off a lot of convection heat thus the comment above about needing a blower. Radiant heat just feels better.
What kinda stove do you have?

Honestly big old pre epa boxes still have their place. Occasional use cabins. Out buildings etc. Something where you need tons of fast btus right away and are really not worried about long steady burns or efficiency. But for heating my home absolutely no way I would consider one

I can run my stove the old fashioned way without engaging the cat and make the stove room too hot to stay in, especially when I had SW pipe. If I engage the cat I have to turn the air down to control the cat so it becomes a longer slow burn, less immediate heat spread out over a long time. Both ways work, it's a wood fire in a metal box inside your house.

In my house I’ve had a smoke dragon, and early EPA stove, and now a new BK Princess. They all heated my house just fine. The biggest difference is the BK can really be tucked in the corner. Because the clearance to combustibles is much smaller.

All 3 stoves would get my dog’s fur so hot I thought she would burst into flames. Lol. She likes to lay in front of the stove.

I read a bunch of the “new stoves don’t throw heat like the old stoves” comments. Honestly it scared me a bit about getting a new stove. But I have no regrets about getting a new stove.

I live in upstate NY, and heat 100% with wood. My wife likes it warm in the house, so it’s usually 75 degrees or higher inside all winter long.

Everybody I know with a chainsaw says it’s just not the same workout as you get with a felling ax.

I’m not going back.

It’s not surprising that view hangs around. It’s not just under dried woodthat clouds the reputation of today’s stoves, although that is likely the biggest. Many of the latest epa stoves require both greater understanding to set up and run well and more attention from start to cruise. That’s not to say that running a “classic” well doesn’t require attention. Through sharing here we have been educated or at least have to opportunity to learn to get the best from our stoves. How many who aren’t members or readers here struggle with things from basic operation to inadequate draft, to poorly designed stoves?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimdusty
It’s not surprising that view hangs around. It’s not just under dried woodthat clouds the reputation of today’s stoves, although that is likely the biggest. Many of the latest epa stoves require both greater understanding to set up and run well and more attention from start to cruise. That’s not to say that running a “classic” well doesn’t require attention. Through sharing here we have been educated or at least have to opportunity to learn to get the best from our stoves. How many who aren’t members or readers here struggle with things from basic operation to inadequate draft, to poorly designed stoves?
I would say many don’t know basic concepts. Even though I grew up with stoves I’ve learned a lot here. Top down starts was foreign to me. I have friends even my buddy in Maine that would benefit from this forum. He is an old Yankee who is stuck in his ways. Thinks it is ok burning Ash that was cut the same year and 6 month old Oak. He has a Jotul 500 V3 and had a chimney fire a few years back. I bought him a moisture meter.

Reactions: Itslay90