Cleaning chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fall. I want to make sure I don’t have any wasp nests in the flue. I once had a bunch of really stunned wasps and nest pieces fall out of the liner I was cleaning.

Reactions: Itslay90
1x /yr, mid-summer to fall, before heating session.

Fall. I want to make sure I don’t have any wasp nests in the flue. I once had a bunch of really stunned wasps and nest pieces fall out of the liner I was cleaning.
Same. I had baby squirrels fall down my chimney this fall when I cleaned it_g

Wondering how you all cover or cap your chimneys for the summer season? I'm about to clean my two chimneys and thought I might cover them somehow with something to keep out the wasps, yellow jackets, squirrels, birds ..... I'm sure it's been talked about before but I don't know what search terms I would use!

I just have a regular cap on mine. There’s a screen to keep birds and squirrels out. Wasps have free entry. Without the screen, anybody can get in! Here’s an eviction job we did in late February.

E9B4AE03-140E-426C-B925-7572D76B5153.jpeg 683AA2D4-AE4A-4950-AF1C-7148D61D156B.jpeg 5473D2EB-D335-4B0E-A072-4A9DBDBB7133.jpeg

I am consider sealing off my flues at the top this year after I sweep.

Reactions: VintageGal
Wondering how you all cover or cap your chimneys for the summer season? I'm about to clean my two chimneys and thought I might cover them somehow with something to keep out the wasps, yellow jackets, squirrels, birds ..... I'm sure it's been talked about before but I don't know what search terms I would use!
I am consider sealing off my flues at the top this year after I sweep.
VintageGal and Evan,

I use this in the summer. Works for me. Easy to put on and take off. I have single story house and I can get on roof very easily.

Having mine cleaned in two weeks. Plan on once a year. Have an Excel chimney cap with band. Had it installed last June and did not have a problem with critters so will leave it as is. What I did have was woodpeckers wreaking havoc on my chimney cap this spring attracting their mates!

I sweep once a year in the fall. But what you should do is based on what comes out. 23 years ago, I had to take the 1/4 inch screen of the cap, after It plugged in 1 month. The wood was not to good then, I sure a larger screen could go back on now. I've had a few blue birds in the stove. Just had one last week.

I usually do mine twice a year, in the middle of burning season, and at the end..I want to know what y’all guys do?
The wife wasn't on board about burning pine years back until I said that the pipe "wood" be cleaned before we started burning hardwood so I do it twice a year. I will run the brush or Sooteater up the pipe in the fall, just checking for any blockage like a birds nest.

I really don't have to but since I can clean from the bottom up, it's pretty easy.

I inspect before burning season, do a mid cleaning (usually shoot for end of Jan or right before a big snow) then do a full end of season so the stove is ready in the fall. My run is straight up from the stove so its very easy, takes more time to get the ladder and brush / rods setup.

I clean every month. And I put a pillow case over the top in summer. Never had any problems with pests.

I do exactly the same as Kenny.
No closing of the flue in summer tho. So far all is good

I clean once a year usually the day it gets cold enough that I want a fire lol. And no I don't do anything to it over the summer other than maybe clean out the ashes if I am feeling motivated.