This is why you need to use Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louis

Oct 21, 2018
Ocean County, NJ
A bit scary.. :eek::eek: DFCFE391-0A7E-40F0-8136-F258837871E9.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: abaton6
Man, it looks low on the wall and that’s going to take some pipe to get above the roof far enough. Kind of bumbs me out to see how desperate folks can be and the predicaments they get themselves into trying to make it. I believe that fits into the 2020 gauge

Reactions: Louis
Saul Good. Don’t worry bout it.

We actually see allot of those still in use here

People actually use these? Yikes. So the pipe is just run thru the the up to one? Truly amazing what some folks will try.

I'm pretty confident I could have installed my stove myself to code but I still hired a professional because well, it's a fire...in my house. Can't be too safe.

I guess the wife and kids matter too... ;lol

Reactions: Louis
People actually use these? Yikes. So the pipe is just run thru the the up to one? Truly amazing what some folks will try.

I'm pretty confident I could have installed my stove myself to code but I still hired a professional because well, it's a fire...in my house. Can't be too safe.

I guess the wife and kids matter too... ;lol
I was referring to the masonry chimney on a wood platform. I have seen a few short chimneys like that but usually only used once or twice. They simply won't work

Yeah that's what I was asking about, the masonry on a wood platform. I can't believe people ever thought that was a good idea or that it stays vertical.

Reactions: Billyboy
Yeah that's what I was asking about, the masonry on a wood platform. I can't believe people ever thought that was a good idea or that it stays vertical.
Yeah we see lots like that. It was also really common here for chimneys to be built on a wood platform in the attic with pipe running up through the house to it. Our old house was cross shaped and had one in each gable end

We have one like that but the support is nailed to the interior wall of the old carriage house.
it's still in great condition and it's over 120 yrs old.

Reactions: bholler