This is why you need to use Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wonder if that's a regional thing, I've never seen one. For older houses here we tend to have a lot of very traditional colonial houses with multiple central chimneys. My home town has a ton of them ranging from 1650-1850.

I wonder if that's a regional thing, I've never seen one. For older houses here we tend to have a lot of very traditional colonial houses with multiple central chimneys. My home town has a ton of them ranging from 1650-1850.
The attic chimneys on platforms were done here late 19th and early 20th century.

What was the benefit of doing it that way back then? Were they not yet able to simply run the pipe up and out of the house like people would do with a class A chimney now? I guess if the tech wasn't there this makes sense and saves a lot of money versus making a full size chimney.

What was the benefit of doing it that way back then? Were they not yet able to simply run the pipe up and out of the house like people would do with a class A chimney now? I guess if the tech wasn't there this makes sense and saves a lot of money versus making a full size chimney.
They ran single wall pipe up through the house to that chimney. The benifit was cost and ease of build

Over the years, I have pulled out four chimneys that were built on platforms nailed to walls. Three in kitchens, and one in an upstairs room. The platforms were sheeted in 1X, covered in cheese cloth and wall papered on three of them. The other one had sheet rock on it.