This looks great,have to pass on it unfortunately

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/3190687784.html Actually the bark looks more like Bur Oak instead,quite a lot of it around me & especially in that neighborhood.Which is my preference.

Less than 2 miles from me,hopefully someone gets some use out of it.

Damn.If I wasnt busy tommorow I'd go check this out.The homeowner probably wouldnt let me but I'd like to bring a 2 gallon can of fuel mix,gallon of bar oil,the 288XPW,the Alaskan mill/guide plank,gallon of ice water & my Igloo lunch cooler ;) & cut this into 2" & 3" thick planks right in their yard & haul everything off.If its as big as it looks,am guessing 5-6 hrs most likely.That's if I didnt hit any long embedded metal from this very old yard tree,ruining a chain or three.My guess it'll be there a while unless someone chunks it up for firewood

Reactions: Realstone and zap
Hmm, a primo piece of wood like that and he's giving it away? I wonder if he had plans for it and found it too much to deal with.

My guess the tops/branches were already cut to length,stacked on curb & picked up some time ago.Probably just a homeowner with a big trunk left & no need for it or way to dispose of it.Around here I've noticed that most any wood that's 12" diameter or less,straight grained with no knots or crotches gets grabbed quickly.No one wants the bigger or gnarly stuff cause its too heavy to move,harder to split & takes up too much room.I have tons of smaller stuff for fuel,thats no problem.

Myself,the bigger the better.You cant make 12" or larger bowls,wide slabs/planks,coffee tables,footstools or benches from 6"-8" diameter rounds. >> I remove up to a 3 x 3 core including the pith from heart of log to reduce the risk of splitting. I dont waste too much time worrying about a big round being too big to split or heavy to roll up a 2 x 12 plank into pickup bed. That's what big saw is for,rip that sucker in half or 1/4 it if need be.

I see the same around here once in a while, all the easy getting is gone and theres a huge trunk left for someone with a big saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.