this winter is a joke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up yesterday morning and it was 70 degrees. Tomorrow it will get down to 32 degrees.

I was supposed to get my boat this weekend! Thanks to the weather turning back to winter, We gotta wait for a bit! Maybe next weekend?

Down to the pavement here after every storm, and during the storm if changeover to rain or ice is anticipated. We had a storm about a month ago that I got lazy with and thought I would clean it up the next day. It was about two inches of slush which my snow thrower won't handle. But the next day. I had two inches of ice! I would have been able to scoop the slush away had I done it before the freeze. So, I went and put pounds of ice melt down, and my son came with his ATV with blow blade. We were able to to get all the ice up and out of the yard. I've gotten away with leaving snow with some ice crust, but when it is slush right down to the hot top, there is little chance that it will be any better to leave it.

Just came in from cleaning up. Not alot of snow, but an inch of slush/ice under 2 inches of snow. Like save$, had I left it it might have melted off, but most likely would have frozen and been a problem until it warmed up again. Actually was beginning to freeze up. Now its just wet pavement that will dry up with today's wind.

After 18 years here, I have learned the hard way how to stay ahead of the ice. Last winter was a beatch!!!

Been snowing here all day with white out conditions at time. Figures as I had a ton of NEWP's delivered this morning.

gbreda said:
St_Earl said:
first winter here in maine.
also the first time i ever used a sledgehammer to clear my driveway.

LMAO I can identify with that. :lol:

Invest $20 in a good ice chipper and keep a sharp edge, It will save your back !!!

I find the opposite Always clean down to pavement. My driveway is a hill, so ice buildup is a problem. Matter of fact I have to go out and clean up shortly.

yeah. i am trying to do it so we park at the bottom of our hill/drive. and just leave the rest of the drive to do what it wants.
outside of a walking path from our upper side porch/entry. and that will be still with leaving snow.
i don't plan on buying a snow blower.

if it were all slush, i would for sure clear it off.
my mistake was clearing off the bottom area and leaving the rest. then the upper drive melts off some and runs off. instant skating rink around the car at the bottom.
i am glad the town can't afford salt for the roads. i grew up in oregon and the old cars survive there. so many classics on the road still.
i was appalled at the car rot from salt i saw in the time we spent in nh last year.
and my driveway is not in good shape as it is. too far gone to repave over. so it has to last longer than i do :)
salt is expensive too.
the town gives sand to residents for pick up at the public works yard.
i moved our mailbox down to the retaining wall at the street. and just sand a path to it so our mail gets delivered.

i think leaving snow that i can rough up if it gets icy on top is how i'm going to approach this problem for now.
time will tell though.

those ice chippers look good. but there is a hand de-limber tool i've seen that is like that but on steroids. gonna see if i can find one. same configuration. but a much heavier blade.
but i'll probably have to go with what i can buy new. still getting used to not having all the places to shop i am used to. where i grew up there were many used tool places.
but all said and done, i love having a real winter. western oregon just doesn't have that hibernation feel to it like here.

edit to add- i have found that yelling at the weather "just get cold and stay cold, dammit!" really doesn't work at all :p

St_Earl said:
those ice chippers look good. but there is a hand de-limber tool i've seen that is like that but on steroids. gonna see if i can find one. same configuration. but a much heavier blade.

edit to add- i have found that yelling at the weather "just get cold and stay cold, dammit!" really doesn't work at all :p

Damn, sounds like a mess to deal with. And yes, I found that it has to be cleared top down.

I went with an ice chisel. About 40 bucks-bought it on sale plus additional 10% coupon down to the low twenties at the time. Very heavy duty; this thing will take a toe off if not paying attention. The 14.99 ones don't compare.

I found myself yelling at the weather last year after the 5th or 6th storm that was: snow-change to ice-change to snow-change to rain- and back to snow storm all while I am trying to stay ahead of the ice buildup. It didn't help at all. :-S

Last year was a killer for my driveway. Alot of mix precip storms. Couldn't keep up and must have spent 5 Saturdays chipping ice while the sun was out. That was the first winter in many years that I had a major ice problem.

Good luck: Its almost March !!

bcb1 said:
That's one of the great things about our country, you can live in any section of it that you please :) For the folks that love their cold weather and snow, there are the Dakotas, Minnesota, Vermont, Maine, and so forth.

Me, I'll take the 50's and 60's in January and February. So I suppose that limits my geographic choices to Georgia, Florida, the gulf states, Arizona, and southern CA. I like Vegas but it gets pretty darn chilly out there in January sometimes.

You are correct sir, but to get those temps in January and February you have to put up with (what i consider) brutal weather in the summer. I would love 50-60* during the winter months but I couldn't deal with hot and humid summers. I will never forget going to Atlanta for a wedding in June, the heat and humidity was SO oppressive. I would leave the hotel AC and it was like walking into a wall of humidity, no thanks!

I too am enjoying this weather. Here in VT we got 2 years worth of rain and 2 years worth of snow all last year, so my thinking is that we are good this year. I know its not good for skiing and snowmobiling, but I needed the break. Last year I think we had a storm every other day or so that brought at least 3-4 inches.

I had a flock of robins in my back yard yesterday, so I'm wondering if if the coldest part of winter is behind us now.
Spring bulbs are also raising their heads.

1D

1Dtml said:
I had a flock of robins in my back yard yesterday, so I'm wondering if if the coldest part of winter is behind us now.
Spring bulbs are also raising their heads.

1D

Haven't seen them yet, But thats my clue spring is very near! Red wing black birds ice it! The lake is almost clear(ice in the coves). Ducks and geese are back. Love the quacking in the morning. Still have a bit of snow on the lawn. Hopefully the next few warm days make it all go away!

But spring means allergy's for me. Not looking forward to that. I'll feel better with a fishing rod in one hand and a brew in the other!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.