This winters planned wood supply is just about out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Well the wood shed is just about empty of my two year old wood. Looks like I will have to switch to next years wood that has been drying for 1 year fairly soon. It wasnt unexpected but a sign of my increased wood use.

My prior heating setup was a defiant wood stove in the basement for shoulder seasons and a wood boiler without storage for cold weather. I work out of the home but only heat a second floor office during the day so running the wood stove wasnt an option for heating the office and the wood boiler was overkill (it would go into full damper mode soon after the office heated up). So the prior operation was run the oil boiler during the day and heat with wood at other times. The boiler was operated as a "hot start" (it would get shut off in summer and shoulder seasons).

With the installation of 550 gallons of storage, I now can heat the house full time with wood and run the boiler as needed. My oil boiler rarely runs unless I screw up and the way the controls are configured its "cold start" when the wood system is online.

Next years wood consumption will be a guess. The storage didnt go online until mid season, I had an energy audit and insulation upgrade about the same time, plus this winter was quite mild. All three of those makes it tough to project next years demand. Luckilly I try to be two years ahead and burn northern hardwoods that dry quick (maple and white birch, with occasonal beech) so worse case is raid the next years supply. Ultimately I think I may be close to 3.5 cords per year total so its hard to justify spending the money for a more efficient boiler.

3 1/2 cord isn't much. Shouldn't be to hard to get a few years ahead.

I just ran out of my two year old wood as well. Just about doubled my consumption with the new wood boiler compared to my jotul f600.

To get ahead again I just bought 5 cord of 1.5 year old oak. Had to pick it up myself but for 350 it was worth it. Now I just need a few days to recover before I can get it stacked.

I just ran out of my two year old wood as well. Just about doubled my consumption with the new wood boiler compared to my jotul f600.

To get ahead again I just bought 5 cord of 1.5 year old oak. Had to pick it up myself but for 350 it was worth it. Now I just need a few days to recover before I can get it stacked.
Mike,

You doubled your wood consumption with a gasser install? Did you also increase the amount of space being heated, or keep your house much warmer? Hard to believe that a conventional woodstove used less wood than your Biomass, all things being equal.

I was wondering the same thing. Did you insulate your pipes ? Did you go from hardwood to softwood ? I used to heat my house with an old wood burner and used 5 - 6 cord a year. We also used electric heat to take the chill off in the mornings sometimes, and elec. in the bathroom. Since I put the biomass in I added a shop, use no electric heat, heat DHW, heat boiler shed and use 8 - 9 cord a year.

Mike,

You doubled your wood consumption with a gasser install? Did you also increase the amount of space being heated, or keep your house much warmer? Hard to believe that a conventional woodstove used less wood than your Biomass, all things being equal.

Wasn't very clear.
I went from burning 3-4 cord of wood AND 1200 gallons of oil to NO OIL and 7 cord of wood.

Did keep the whole a lot warmer as well. Tstats were at 72 all winter. Heating about 3500 feet plus basement at 60 or so.

Not sure how much oil I will burn this summer for dhw though.

Wasn't very clear.
I went from burning 3-4 cord of wood AND 1200 gallons of oil to NO OIL and 7 cord of wood.

Did keep the whole a lot warmer as well. Tstats were at 72 all winter. Heating about 3500 feet plus basement at 60 or so.

Not sure how much oil I will burn this summer for dhw though.
OK, So 3 or so cord of wood, (and the technology/ability to burn it efficiently) took the place of 1000 gallons or so of fossil fuel, "YOU did good"!

OK, So 3 or so cord of wood, (and the technology/ability to burn it efficiently) took the place of 1000 gallons or so of fossil fuel, "YOU did good"!

Year over year comparison is complicated by the fact that I did a lot of air sealing and insulated the basement. Not sure how much oil I would have saved. And the warm winter...

Though we are very happy with the investment in the boiler. I just got behind in my wood prep due to all the 'free' time the install took.

Status
Not open for further replies.