1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

This year's wood totals

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joful, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    We'll burn through the end of May. 50 year old 1700 SF rambler. I have consumed just over 2.5 cords of red alder and willow so far to keep temps above 75 inside.

We have not used any other heat source this year. Not even for a minute. Breakers to the electric heat have been off.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Maybe 3/4 cord and 1/2 pallet of energy logs.....
  3. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    We heat about 2300 square feet of updated colonial farmhouse in Central New York.We heat only with wood and have never had back up. My wife hasn't lived in a home with anything else but wood since she was born. Well except for those years she was at college in Potsdam.

We only have burned a little over three cord this winter. Should still have two cord left from this year when we are done burning. I do have about fifty cord on the landing for our customers though ,all from me and my 18 year old son doing TSI cutting on our farm. Just stinks that he is back at college now so I will have to do the next fifty all by myself. The good thing is my 16 year old, 110 lb daughter doesn't mind stacking, and she is as fast me at it.( she just won't run a 70cc saw though)
    Joful likes this.
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Geez, I had to look that up: Timber Stand Improvement
  5. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY

Yes. For us that means cutting a lot of soft maple and low grade cherry.The fifty cord we cut over my son's winter break came off about ten acres. We have about 100 acres of this type of cutting to do on our farm, it will take me about five years of cutting, at least, since we do it all ourselves and don't cut trees in the summer. I am sure the fence rows would give us all the wood we needed to burn if we only cut for us, as we still have the old small fields with none over 8 acres out of 100 of tillable and pasture.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    id say I have used about 1.5 cords so far, maybe will end up about 2 cords. I would have to remeasure, I think I did it but I cant remember if I had a full 2 cords in there or not?
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Yeah, for me it's something like that every year. This year I THINK I had .5 cord worth of chunks, but that's hard to estimate for me.
  8. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I just loaded a face cord into the garage that, once gone, will be 3.5 cords for this winter. Unless it starts warming up soon, I'm likely to
    be at 4 cords or more before the end of the heating year.
    Swedishchef likes this.