1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thought you guys were pulling my leg about oak,....

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by fabsroman, Jan 23, 2013.

1. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    especially since the 16 month old splits I was picking up from the wood stack felt really light. So, I ordered a moisture meter last week and it got here today. Went ahead and split open a decent sized split and pretty much didn't even need to use the moisture meter. I could feel how damp it was on the inside and the inside was still the same color as the outside was the day we split the wood September 2011.

Anyway, decided to give the new moisture meter a go and the $20 moisture meter said 31%. D'oh. Not ready yet.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Yup...I have 2yr old oak that is still in the 24-27% range.
  3. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

No joke-most of the pin oak I split two years ago is good to go but every once in a while I'll toss in a larger split that steams a bit.
    ScotO and PapaDave like this.
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    We TOLD YOU.
    You never listen.;lol
    I had a couple splits 2 days ago that hissed for a minute. It was....you guessed it, OAK. Over 2 years c/s/s in the field, in single rows, with lots of sun and wind.
    Most is fine, but every once in a while..........
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well, there is a little leg pulling goes on here occasionally but not about oak!
    Thistle, Paulywalnut, ScotO and 2 others like this.
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    That's when its cut green it takes 2-3 years to burn properly. Standing snags or deadfall can be good to go the same day or in 6-12 months after bucking/splitting/stacking depending on size of log,tree condition & location.
    TimJ, PapaDave, ScotO and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yep Oak.. The serious wood.;)
  8. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    crappy wood. Send it to me and I'll take it off your hands. No reason to let it waste room in your stacks. No reason at all.
  9. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Of the oak group White Oak will take possibly the longest to achieve the magical burning numbers.
  10. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Oak ,it ain't no joke! I've some 2 year old white oak that I checked last week during our warm spell and the stuff is still 27% average. And the waiting continues...::P
  11. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    And yet, you probably still don't believe that burning pine makes you go blind, do you?
    [​IMG]
    amateur cutter, WoodpileOCD and Nixon like this.
  12. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I've got some 14 month old Oak that I've been eyeing because we may run short.......I've pulled a couple of the uglie peices from the top, and they burn pretty darn good....no hissing.....pulled a couple of splits off the top also, reading 18% on a fresh split on some, and 27% on others (stack in an area that gets sun, and breeze all day). I'll burn the uglies in a hot stove for now just to stretch the supply, but my plan is to leave the rest for another 2 years....just gotta get thru this season.
  13. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    I've learned that just because oak doesn't hiss does not mean it's optimum. I burned some 18month seasoned oak a few years ago.

Burn was fine but the heat output was not there.
  14. Redlegs

Redlegs Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Kansas
    Before I learned that oak required a lengthy aging, I had burned tw oaok trees in my old "smoke dragon" (dried probaby 5-6 months) and I thought it was worthless stuff. I wish I had those back now so I could age them right. Out here in Kansas oak has been a little hard to come by.
  15. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    Wow, this thread is killing my buzz. I had a massive red oak score today. Four full pickup loads of rounds. Guess it'll be 2015 before it will ever see the stove. Naaaaa, still very happy with my score.
  16. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Lately, oak is the only thing I have been trying to get now. I'll get far enough ahead to age the stuff correctly. Might have to burn 30 month old stuff next year, but we shall see how it all goes. If I can get on something that will age quicker, I will get some of that for next year and age the oak even more. Patience is a virtue.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Think of it as money in the bank . Go out and find some silver maple and cherry to make do until the oak is ready. If You do that , You'll really appreciate the wait .Wet oak is pretty much worthless , properly seasoned , it's top shelf .
    blwncrewchief and Thistle like this.
  18. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    I had a massive Cherry score last month, so I guess I am all set after all. I'm buzzed again!
  19. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    I've got about 3 cords stacked....mixed white and red. Never had a lot of oak around because the place I cut just did not have much in the wood lot. Got into a couple new areas last year.....it'll sit till at least 14-15 I've got another 14 cords and lots more to cut.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey guys, don't forget that you can burn soft maple 6 months after being split.
    Nixon and Thistle like this.
  21. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    To add to Dennis' post sasafrass is also great as far as drying quickly . Probably as fast as soft maple ,and it smell really great !
  22. formula_pilot

formula_pilot Member

Loc:
    New England -CT New Haven County
    Yup, last year we started to burn a stack of 2 year old red oak, and was suprised to see it hiss and sizzle. Decided to give it more time and it was the right move. This year (3) it is burning great, even lights up fast when thrown on coals.
    Backwoods Savage and Nixon like this.
  23. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, I was gonna reply to rudy that as long as he doesn't split the Cherry too big, it'll be OK. Dries pretty fast but it's no soft Maple. :cool: I was happy to get the Silver recently, and I'm on the lookout for more...
  24. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    A lot of this wood drying stuff depends on where you stack it, I have a spot on the highest point of my yard where the snow always melts first, since its high it gets wind from all directions, I stacked two cords of oak there and in two years its 20%, its been burning great, no hiss or sizzle, Ive officially designated that area as my oak drying area.
  25. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    We have so much wood around here from our own downed Sandy trees that there is STILL ash/oak the township cut into chunks everywhere. My neighbor and I are thinking about taking a ride around to get it but haven't yet. This time last year, people were stealing our wood, I have stacks, well really piles to be stacked, literally right along the road and not one piece taken. We are just running out of room to stack! Especially for a 3 year oak commitment even though we know it's worth the wait!