1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thoughts on buying last years leftovers

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by lecomte38, Apr 16, 2013.

1. lecomte38

lecomte38 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Pellets absorb moisture. Even with a good plastic bag cover the bottoms are open to moisture from below, especially pellets that have been sitting around in a muddy parking lot all winter. I bought Powerhouse in the early buy last year and found all four pallets has obvious moisture intrusion between all the bags. I think I will wait for fresh pellets in the fall, especially with the current lack of deals.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    ive never had a problem with moisture. not a single bag, ever.

it really depends on how they were stored... in their orig covers or not
  3. iron stove

iron stove Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central CT
    Almost all pellets have time spent outside, either at the pellet manufactuere, on the truck, or at the local dealer. Some are lucky enough to have a wharehouse and can bring them inside.

Another forum member, who also sells pellets, has some that are 8 years opld, stored inside, and work fine. As long as you keep em dry, they could last indefinatly.
  4. Stevekng

Stevekng Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I'm still burning last year's left overs. The date code is 3-2011. (Fireside Ultras) The pellets are still in great shape. I was very careful not to take skids that showed obvious water damage or damaged/punctures skids of pellets.
  5. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I burned some bags a couple months ago that I dug up on the bottom of a pile from 2009. They'd been outside in my pole barn since I bought them. No problems at all.
  6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Ive burned old pellets fine no problem. Although I dont really understand why they do not absorb moisture and cause a problem. Heck my wood floor grows/shrinks 1/32 of inch between summer and winter.
  7. iron stove

iron stove Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central CT
    Sure they absort a small % of moisture in a VERy humid envirooment. Actuall water is the issue. I would think the pellet process, where the high heat and pressure fusses the pellets together using the natural resisn in the wood, is why they dont redily absorb moisture from the atmosphere.
  8. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    I've NEVER had condensation inside a bag. And I store in my 100% humdty in july basement.