Thoughts on new PE super classic le (2022).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moxy

Jan 14, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Previous stove was a VC resolute 1985-2022.

These last few days were my first opportunity to use the PE stove for heat as the nights have been -5 Celsius.

Things that impress me are:

North / South loading

Stove operates easily at ½ draft or less and is very sensitive to draft control.

I could never see the fire before so it throws me for a loop when I see such an active fire. On the other hand, I can see the results of draft control and slow the fire down till it is lazy but still burning correctly.

I do see a huge reduction in the amount of smoke produced at chimney top.

Things that do not impress me are:

I don’t see this stove as representing any great savings on the amount of wood used, 5 medium splits will produce enough coals to start a fire after 10 Hrs, but comfortable heat last only 4 hours or so. Could be a thermal mass issue.

Things that I have to learn are:

I have a single wall stove pipe with thermometer that operates in the same temp range as my old stove so I have to learn to feel comfortable where I am with creosote.

I have a stove top temp gauge but having difficulty finding a true reading. Remember this stove has enamelled cover so the gauge is not really sitting on stove top. Any suggestions for placement.

Correlation between two temps is difficult because of this. A normal stove range produces very hot flue.

How much wood will produce a useful heat burn time.

The stove is an easy breather. It may be getting a bit too strong draft How tall is the flue system from stove top to chimney cap? What are typical flue temperatures during the burn?

Place the stovetop thermometer on the stovetop below the trivet. It helps to have one with bold numbers for easier reading between the trivet slats. The stove will run much differently than the old stove. The air needs to be turned down in increments, as quickly as possible, to encourage secondary combustion. Getting the timing right should reduce flue temperatures while increasing the stovetop temperature. This should also have the benefit of reducing wood consumption.

Have you had a chance to read this thread?

Last edited:
The stove is an easy breather. It may be getting a bit too strong draft How tall is the flue system from stove top to chimney cap? What are typical flue temperatures during the burn?

Place the stovetop thermometer on the stovetop below the trivet. It helps to have one with bold numbers for easier reading between the trivet slats. The stove will run much differently than the old stove. The air needs to be turned down in increments, as quickly as possible, to encourage secondary combustion. Getting the timing right should reduce flue temperatures while increasing the stovetop temperature. This should also have the benefit of reducing wood consumption.

Have you had a chance to read this thread?
The flue is about 25 ft from top to cap. My flue temps are between 300 to 400f as measured with a condor flue temp guage.
I placed the stove top gauge under the trevet. This has produced temp readings that are much closer to the flue readings. I have been able to close draft and maintain proper burn temps in both guages and still keep the proper secondary burn going. This has greatly increased the useful heat burn time and reduced wood usage. Thanks for the suggestions

Those flue temps may be a tad high, not bad though. A pipe damper may give you even better performance and efficiency.

400º is ok for a short period, but the surface flue temp on single wall should ideally be closer to 300º once the air has been turned down to cruising temp.