Thoughts on WoodPellets.com's new promo (Buy 1 reg price, get 1 @$199)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
Curious what everyone thinks...

Ring in 2010 with pellets for $199 a ton!*

Save money and go green in 2010 with our New Year Special!

Pay regular price for your first skid of pellets and get additional skids for just $199 a ton! At that price, and with the efficiencies of space heating, it's like getting 150 gallons of heating oil at $1.33 a gallon.

Order now! Visit www.woodpellets.com today to secure this great-savings!

Baiscally you're paying $224 per ton ($199 Sale ton plus $249 Regular ton divided by 2) on Michagan Pellets, but you're forced to buy 2 tons to get that price. Seems to me if you're going to run a sale event forcing consumers to buy 2 tons, you should offer a better mark down price than 20% ($50.00). If I was foreced to buy 2 tons to "get a sale price", I'd like to see at least 30% savings for my "bulk purchase". In this case I'd like to see that $199 sale ton closer to $179. Again, if I'm paying full retail for one ton, I would want to see a substantial savings on the second ton to justify the bulk purchase. Just my $0.02

Not too many places will deliver less than 2 ton anyway. Not worth it for them for less.

Never tried that pellet brand but IF it is a good one, IMO cost average of $225.00 a ton
delivered is pretty good. Most are still over the $270 mark not including delivery.

When you click on Delivery options, it says that that deliveries are by "SKIDS" or 1.5 tons per skid so what looks like 2 tons is actually 3 tons or about $235(ish) a ton.

for my zip code.. I'm only given the option of skids comprising of 1.3tons a skid... so I actually have to buy 2.8 tons.
Plus they are charging $21.07 a ton for delivery

I don't see how this is much of a deal at all:
with shipping included - $245.97 a ton.

vs. a recent awesome price of $199 a ton (max 2 tons) price for NEWP recently had in central MA. (delivery charge of $35 for me)
making my avg price per ton $216.50

The above price they have seems to be on par with most of their deals they have run recently... previously with free shipping, or discounts on cheaper per ton prices.

Looks like some one is tyring to clean house, I heard a lot about Michigan pellets not that many saying any good and a repair guys nightmare. that's my option.

we bought 22 tons of the michigans this year.about average heat,lots of ash. i have a napoleon got lots of clunkers.have a cheap charlies pro pellet stove at work and used 2.5 tons so far and never a clunker,lots of ash. friend used on a cheap charlie stove and had clunkers everday.others were used on a us stove and rarely ever a clunker. so okay for price we paid 230..00 ton delivered,but not impressive by any means. i am using turmans right now for a test ,and presently they are no hotter ,but there is no ash and very little clunker.hopefully try something different next year.maybe okanagan or hammers if we could ever get in my area.

I also found them to be very ashy. Heat was OK, But not great. I agree with sinbad, Cleaning house because there not selling well or ordered to much. With oil prices as low as they were. Lots of people past on pellets and burned the cheaper oil.

the reason they are trying to clearance them out is they are junk! Not many stoves will feed them right, they are full of fines and break up easily. If you buy them plan on screening them and handling them very gently.

I'd spend the extra $4 a ton and go with the CleanFire pellets, I've had them for two years and are good pellet, not too much ash and not bad on the clinkers as well..If the price continues to drop I may add some for next year...

Sinbad said:
Looks like some one is tyring to clean house, I heard a lot about Michigan pellets not that many saying any good and a repair guys nightmare. that's my option.

Almost a certainty

for that price i will keep driving way out to squiers for the okies! a nice relaxing ride at about the same price = priceless
its cheaper for me to buy okies than michigans..... imagine that!!!
224.90 for michigan vs 219 for okies= no brainer--- i will keep making the drive

iceman said:
for that price i will keep driving way out to squiers for the okies! a nice relaxing ride at about the same price = priceless

I dont think i want to compare michigan's with oikies though, Ice......kinda like comparing Wagyu beef with spam......or Lobster with canned tuna.........but hey, some people actually prefer Spam and canned tuna...go figure!

Lousyweather said:
iceman said:

I dont think i want to compare michigan's with oikies though, Ice......kinda like comparing Wagyu beef with spam......or Lobster with canned tuna.........but hey, some people actually prefer Spam and canned tuna...go figure!

hey lousy! i edited it, it was prollly confusing wht i was trying to say

I have burned michigan pellets and they are garbage. Lots of ash, not that good on putting out heat. Not a big selection of pellets here in michigan that I have found. Buring mauder brothers right now and will be burning fiber by products pro pellets next which seem to burn pretty good in my stove. Last I checked, pelletsales doesnt even deliever to my area. Frustrating.... Have heard about all these good brands of pellets but cant get my hands on them. Maybe I will have to do a road trip this year to try some new brands...

Sorry said pelletsales instead of wood pellets.com Either way, neither one deliever to my area

Problem with woodpellets.com is that they only have 2 - 3 brands to choose from and you can't get mixed brands delivered at the same time. Last year I tried to get LG's and NEWP (delivered at the same time) and they told me that they don't do that; I could purchase only 1 brand at a time. I wish they offered 10 different high quality brands instead of the Michigans and LG's they currently have.
I most likely won't use them again unless they offer more choices and allow me to get multiple brands at the same time.

There is another problem with woodpellets.com. You can't purchase a couple of bags to try before you buy the large amount. I either have to locate someone that has some or find a local dealer(which doesn't carry what you want to try anyway). So no try before I buy=No buy large amount.

jtakeman said:
There is another problem with woodpellets.com. You can't purchase a couple of bags to try before you buy the large amount. I either have to locate someone that has some or find a local dealer(which doesn't carry what you want to try anyway). So no try before I buy=No buy large amount.
Jay
I totally agree ,that is why my friends & I go to BT Enterprises. They carry a large variety and now sell all brands by the bag so you are not stuck with a ton that you are not happy with. And we find their customer service "TOP NOTCH"!!!

I've purchased from this company for the past two years...

My '08 Purchase of Green Team pellets was without issue. The prices beat anything I could find locally and the pellet quality was workable.

I purchased 4.5 tons of LG in '09 and have been unhappy with the quality. The bags are 5-10% fines. I had purchased a pre-buy for April and they later pushed a February delivery. It seems their special pricing is when they are trying to get rid of an inferior product.

I wouldn't mind buying from them again...but you really need to sample their stock to determine if you are really getting a deal. If sampling is not possible, I say pass.

iceman said:
its cheaper for me to buy okies than michigans..... imagine that!!!
224.90 for michigan vs 219 for okies= no brainer--- i will keep making the drive

Iceman... While the ride to Monson is still relaxing, their price for Okies went up to $239 a ton this past week. Still not too bad I suppose.

I've used PS.com for two straight years, 5 tons of CleanFires last year and 3 tons of LG's this year...Both decent pellets, the house is warm and no problems with either pellet in the Harman Accentra..As someone says here; "80% of stove problems are due to stoves being dirty" I clean this darn thing every Saturday.

I dont think thats a great deal. Several stove dealers in my area are running ACP for 170 a ton if you bought your stove from them (2 ton limit per customer)
22 tons volume purchase, single delivery address = 179 a ton. get 11 people together and split the load.

You may want to review some of the issues with ACP. Many people here have said they are among the worst pellet they have ever seen, thus the low price...You can do a search here on Appling County Pellets (ACP).

Status
Not open for further replies.