Thousands of trees felled to stop Sudden Oak Death

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really worrying, being only 60 miles from where I live.

On the one hand, I can see free firewood for life...........

But I love the trees alive, and a whole ecosystem is in danger of being destroyed if this is not controlled in some way, and at present, the only control is ripping some very old established woodland down.

One carrier seems to be the rhododendron, an imported species.
But there are so many possible causes hidden in imported plants that we have got from all over the world nobody here really knows how it started, and how to stop it.

I do know it is rampant in some areas of West Coast USA, does anyone there have any ideas on control yet?

The sad part also is that they show them chipping them up, anyone local to there with a stove should be all over them, trying to get some. I am sure they want to keep them very local to control any spread. Sudden Oak Death sucks.

It is sad that they're chipping them, but I think that's the only way to make sure that the disease doesn't spread. I wouldn't count on getting any for firewood. I'm sure this is quarantined. 60 miles is probably too far to haul wood, I'm guessing.

The problem with this thinking is that a few of those trees may be resistant to Sudden Oak Death. When you cut them all down, you never find out or get the chance to see if they have superior genetics. They did that with the Chestnut. I'm glad they didn't with the Elm.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.