1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Three Hours Work Results

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ChrisN, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    This tree in my back yard got some sort of disease and died. The last two years there was no foliage at all. This weekend I finally got off my butt and dropped, bucked and split it. Took about 3 hours total. Not that much wood, maybe 1/2 cord, but it's Ash and was a pleasure to work with. Now I'm eyeing a few other trees, but they are a bit bigger and closer to the house. I might have to call in the pros to take them down for me.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Nice work! The ones closer to the house, you could have a tree company put them ground for you. Then you can buck them up.
  3. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    I had the local tree company out to give me an estimate this summer to drop 4 large oaks ( about 100' each) I only asked them to drop them, and I would take care of everything else. I was pleasantly surprised when he quoted me $450.00 to do the job. He said he would put me on his list to do when his summer work tapered off. I haven't heard back from him and am getting ready to call him again. those 4 trees will go a long way to filling my firewood supply for the 07/08 heating season.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If they are dead and near power lines call the electric company. Our electric company zips right out and drops them for free.
  5. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Chris,

I love your avatar - I live for snowy days at home!

I too dropped a dead tree this weekend - oak. I am always surprised at the smallish pile of splits I get from processing a single tree (compared to what I expect). This was maybe a 16" oak and I'm sure thicker trees increase the pile considerably. Mine didn't drop like I wanted so I'll be starting a new thread to figure out how I should have handled it.
  6. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    Wahoo, It always surprises me too how small a pile the end result is! My tree dropped right where I wanted it, but probably because it had a good lean in that direction already. I used the wedge one side and hinge the backside method and had no problem. I never really feel comfortable dropping trees, and much prefer to process them already on the ground. Thanks for the avatar comment, that pic is from the winter of 04/05, when we had a few pretty good storms in CT.

Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.