Tick Alert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

Be careful, the ticks are out in force already! I was driving home from work and spotted a nice little pile of fresh-cut black locust sitting by the side of the road. I picked the rounds up, threw them in the back of the Explorer, and a few minutes later felt that creepy crawling sensation of a tick on my neck. Sure enough, there it was, a deer tick. I gave it a a 60mph sendoff.

they are absolutely HORRIBLE here in central PA, they've been active all winter. I fear it's gonna get much worse too....

Ticks were not real bad in PA when I lived there in the 70s, (I don't remember ever having a winter with not snow then) but were bad at my Aunt & Uncles place in VA.
Tuck in your shirts & pant legs. Tick collars for the pets :)

I wonder how the milder winter is going to effect many insect species.
We (Alaska) had a few mild winters 10 to 15 years ago, & the Spruce bark beetle moved north & destroyed thousands of acres of spruce forests.

With warming climate change, there are allot of of other changes we learn about that are not so good.

I wonder if the Airpots TSA scanners pic up ticks ( in some hidden body locations) :)

I met a gal at a three day bike rally years ago that took my fancy. She had a beauty mark on her left cheek. Woke up the next morning only to find it was just a tick. :ahhh:

lyme disease sucks!!!

stupid Doctor - go there on a Friday cause i felt sick.. tells me to go home and rest. come Monday half my face was parised with bell's palsy... then Doc says you have Lyme...

a few pills and two weeks later, back to normal

My doctor assured me he'd stop making mistakes the day after I do...

Butcher said:
I met a gal at a three day bike rally years ago that took my fancy. She had a beauty mark on her left cheek. Woke up the next morning only to find it was just a tick. :ahhh:

Eeesh kinda gross. And yet kinda funny.

I probably get a couple hundred ticks stuck to me a year. Usually I get them off after the first day but sometimes one will stick for a couple days before I find it. I've never gotten sick from it but I just hate how bad it itches.

DanCorcoran said:
My doctor assured me he'd stop making mistakes the day after I do...

Dan, somehow I like your doctor already.

Scotty Overkill said:
they are absolutely HORRIBLE here in central PA, they've been active all winter. I fear it's gonna get much worse too....

+1 here in CT. Just hired a company to come spray the land - some kind of all natural product but they guarantee no ticks. Our area is prime for them...but they insist they know what they're getting into. Hope it works, at least a little. We Frontline the Newfs and they still come in with several ticks just from trips in the yard...and DH, I and 8 year old DD have all been bitten this winter. Yick.

Yeah, bad here too, been pulling them off the cats all winter, I had lyme last year so Im going to be extra careful this year.

Butcher said:
that's not bad, butcher......you know you drank too much when you meet a girl at the bar and you swear she looks like Shania Twain........so you take her home and next thing you know, you wake up next to a girl that looks like Mark Twain....that 's not so good..

Anyone else got itchy while reading this post. I never thought about ticks while scrounging. Something else to keep in mind. thanks guys. good stuff.

Butcher said:

Was that a face cheek or an ass cheek! :coolgrin:

zap

My daughter had a tick on her yesterday. I was pretty surprised because it's been getting cold here at night (20s). With the warm winter I think ticks will be pretty bad this year.

zapny said:
Butcher said:

Was that a face cheek or an ass cheek! :coolgrin:

zap
:lol: :lol: :bug:

There predicting a bad Tick Season this year....already had 2 on the pup in the last 8 weeks. We check ourselves being the pup pretty much sleeps with us, but we've been clear so far

Last summer, in the YMCA showers, after working out...I find a tick on my chest. I bite all my nails...so no way I can get it off. Freaks me out to think of leaving the little bastard till I get home for the tweezers. So I do the obvious thing...ask the guy showering next to me if he can help me out & pull off the tick. Lordy! I swear...he'd have acted less shocked if I'd asked for a BJ. Cracked me up for weeks afterwards. Ha ! ...City-folks!

I purchased a few of these last year: Tick Twister Pro

Thankfully, I haven't needed to use it, but I keep one in the house and one in the car. I also gave them away to my brothers who like to go on family hikes with the dog.

If you live in the country, look into guinea hens. They LOVE bugs.

KatWill said:
Anyone else got itchy while reading this post. I never thought about ticks while scrounging. Something else to keep in mind. thanks guys. good stuff.

all over...

Found one in my wood pile a week ago.

For some reason(knock on wood) there never seems to be any in central Michigan - Lansing latitude area - I have yet to find any and live on acres spending time 300+ days in the woods at least a little bit either bowhunting, scouting, walking the dogs or, now, CSSing. Farther north and into the UP they seem to be more common. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the little buggers though.

For the low temperatures:

We did an experiment in high school with a jar of ticks in the freezer. After they were frozen at the first of school in August we took the lid off so they could get air. Thawed them out in april and within minutes they were crawling around. Cold temperatures don't hurt them. Fire does. I burn all of my land every year including dead leaves and the underbrush. This knocks them down for a while and also gives them a challenge to crawl onto anything with all the brush down.

Status
Not open for further replies.