Tick Alert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That "twister" tool does work. I would be interested to know what the yard can be sprayed with to control ticks. I used to think the dogs brought them back only from venturing out into the brush but they have only been in the yard the last week or so and have found 2 ticks. We apply Advantix monthly but still am picking them off and even find them on the floor once in awhile. Wondering if the collars work any better or maybe change to another topical drug?

muncybob said:
That "twister" tool does work. I would be interested to know what the yard can be sprayed with to control ticks. I used to think the dogs brought them back only from venturing out into the brush but they have only been in the yard the last week or so and have found 2 ticks. We apply Advantix monthly but still am picking them off and even find them on the floor once in awhile. Wondering if the collars work any better or maybe change to another topical drug?

We just signed up with a local company that's called Tick Ranger. Supposedly a natural product and they guarantee no ticks. They didn't flinch when I told them I had 4 acres, 2 130+ lb dogs, kids and a garden. Price is more than reasonable...and Frontline is NOT doing it where we live. Dogs are covered in ticks, and they're getting on the family too, just from being out in the yard, not even crossing into the wooded part.

Tic and insect meds for pets do not keep them off the dogs or even kill the adult insects - it kills the larva internally. So using 10 collars and double heart guard/advantix, etc... with do little to keep the adults out of the house or off your pets. It only protects from the larva that infest your pets and do internal damage or death.

Also, most, if not all preventative meds work retro. meaning this months supply kills last months larva until you have a residual built up in their system. Knowing this you can be a little late in getting them started on meds in the spring and your dogs/cats remain safe but it is a good practice to keep them on the stuff year round based on the potential for fleas and tics surviving throughout the winter.

I may be wrong on the collars but still feel a collar is not preventing a dirty tic from crawling up your dogs leg no matter what it is made of. If a collar is strong enough to keep tics off it is not something I want around my dogs neck or my family anyway. I mean - what is coming off that little collar that can keep tics off and what is it doing to my children or my dog that has the thing inchese from his mouth and nose 24/7.

I can get more info if you like. All my information is coming from a friend who is a world renowned vet surgeon and just plain good dude. Any reputable vet will tell you the same.

BobUrban said:
Tic and insect meds for pets do not keep them off the dogs or even kill the adult insects - it kills the larva internally. So using 10 collars and double heart guard/advantix, etc... with do little to keep the adults out of the house or off your pets. It only protects from the larva that infest your pets and do internal damage or death.

Also, most, if not all preventative meds work retro. meaning this months supply kills last months larva until you have a residual built up in their system. Knowing this you can be a little late in getting them started on meds in the spring and your dogs/cats remain safe but it is a good practice to keep them on the stuff year round based on the potential for fleas and tics surviving throughout the winter.

I may be wrong on the collars but still feel a collar is not preventing a dirty tic from crawling up your dogs leg no matter what it is made of. If a collar is strong enough to keep tics off it is not something I want around my dogs neck or my family anyway. I mean - what is coming off that little collar that can keep tics off and what is it doing to my children or my dog that has the thing inchese from his mouth and nose 24/7.

I can get more info if you like. All my information is coming from a friend who is a world renowned vet surgeon and just plain good dude. Any reputable vet will tell you the same.

When my dogs are on the frontline etc- they will get ticks on them, but they don't burrow. When they are off of it- they get them like mad!

I have found a few at a time on them, and they're only 10-13# dogs. Never had any within 3 weeks or so of applying frontline that burrowed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.