Tick on my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

efoyt

Sep 18, 2008
Maine
I was loading my stove last night when I so ( and felt ) a tick running across my arm!!! Will they be dorment enouph after it gets colder that I will at least get the log in the fire before they start running around. I've never thought or cared about the bugs coming into the house with wood before but I HATE ticks.

They say (in Wisconsin anyway) that ticks can be active almost any month of the year. I don't remember seeing any on the firewood, but the little buggers can be anywhere. Anything you bring into the house could have ticks on it, including yourself. So, I would think that the firewood won't have any greater chance of having ticks on it than your shoes, the pets, the kids........... Ticks are just part of life here.

They are nasty. I'm expert, but I can tell you two years ago I was out in late December in the western part of Mass, deer hunting. I don't recall it being that warm. I pulled nine off of me that day, both off my clothing and skin. No body believed me until I pulled three off back at the camp. as well as two more guy's found one each. All deed ticks. We are loaded with them in Mass.

Any time it's above freezing they can be active - at this time of year it's good that it's the adults, as they are easy to see. They won't survive in the house very long - more than a day now the humidity is decreasing. It's unlikely they will be hanging out in the woodpile normally - they prefer the leaf litter. This little bugger was probably just questing (looking for a host), rather than hunkering down.

I've seen lots of ticks in my area, i've just never brought one in with the fire wood.

Burn the little suckers!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Title gave me a chuckle and reminded me when I was younger and pulled off about 50 or so... and yes many of them from the frank and beans!

Joe O said:
They are nasty. All deed ticks. We are loaded with them in Mass.

Yes, they all work in the assessor's offices, too.

Is the cure for a tick on your wood the same as a snake bite ?

"Tick on my Wood" ----> OUCH!

I meant to say no expert, and sound's like someone else doesn't believe. The point to the story as others have said. They are active or seem to be year round

what did it look like

My wife thinks it's a pacific coast tick, can't remember the exact name. It wasin't a dog tick, could have been a dear tick. I have it in alcohol at my house. We save all the ticks we pull off the dog us or kids incase someone gets sick.

haha..I dont know of anyone that would would reference a tick as being "dear"

Status
Not open for further replies.