Tick Spray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
What is the best tick spray that you can use?

zap

+1 for anything with Deet....but be careful with the deet, they warn not to spray it directly on your skin. I always spray my clothes down real good and spray extra around my ankle area on my boots, my waist and I always spray my cap. I had Lyme disease about 3 years or so ago and it is horrible!

A friend of mine gave me this idea a year ago and I use it on a regular basis...it is by far the best I have used when in the woods during turkey season.

I stumbled across a product called "Repel Permanone" Its in the camping isle of wally world. This year it is $6.48 per can and one can will "ideally" treat an outfit. I use 2 full cans to treat a full turkey hunting gear package including gloves, face mask, hat, boots, clothes, under armor, etc.

The stuff is a clothing treatment, aerosol that you spray your clothes with. It not only repels bugs, but kills them if they come in contact with your clothing.

The nice thing: they indicate on the can one treatment will last 3 weeks, and you can wash your clothing. I can tell you I have seen a tick land on my arm while calling a turkey and it died within a few minutes. I have also seen ticks that didn't die but they bail off fairly fast.
Once it gets hot I wear pretty much the same gear every time out. So here is my methodology for avoiding ticks during the 3 weeks left in turkey season every year once they appear:

Step 1: get an outfit from boots, socks to hat you will wear. Mushroomers just pick a favorite get up.

Step 2: pick a calm day or go in the garage, Wear rubber gloves, start by spraying boots, socks, hat. then take your long sleeve shirt, under shirt, and pants, belt etc. I treat every item front and back, and the pants, and shirt that will be on the outside, I also roll up the cuffs and spray the INSIDES of any area where a tick may crawl in.

Step 3: let em dry in the wind. don't get wet until dry.

It only takes me 20 minutes to do an entire gear package, including my turkey vest and seat. I highly recommend this if you are worried at all about ticks. I don't believe its a 100% guarantee but its MUCH better than the alternative.

P.S. Permanone is the brand, I believe the active ingredient is permathin, so there may be other brands, this one is made by repel as mentioned. Note: it is not for your skin!

RAY_PA said:
A friend of mine gave me this idea a year ago and I use it on a regular basis...it is by far the best I have used when in the woods during turkey season.

I stumbled across a product called "Repel Permanone" Its in the camping isle of wally world. This year it is $6.48 per can and one can will "ideally" treat an outfit. I use 2 full cans to treat a full turkey hunting gear package including gloves, face mask, hat, boots, clothes, under armor, etc.

The stuff is a clothing treatment, aerosol that you spray your clothes with. It not only repels bugs, but kills them if they come in contact with your clothing.

The nice thing: they indicate on the can one treatment will last 3 weeks, and you can wash your clothing. I can tell you I have seen a tick land on my arm while calling a turkey and it died within a few minutes. I have also seen ticks that didn't die but they bail off fairly fast.
Once it gets hot I wear pretty much the same gear every time out. So here is my methodology for avoiding ticks during the 3 weeks left in turkey season every year once they appear:

Step 1: get an outfit from boots, socks to hat you will wear. Mushroomers just pick a favorite get up.

Step 2: pick a calm day or go in the garage, Wear rubber gloves, start by spraying boots, socks, hat. then take your long sleeve shirt, under shirt, and pants, belt etc. I treat every item front and back, and the pants, and shirt that will be on the outside, I also roll up the cuffs and spray the INSIDES of any area where a tick may crawl in.

Step 3: let em dry in the wind. don't get wet until dry.

It only takes me 20 minutes to do an entire gear package, including my turkey vest and seat. I highly recommend this if you are worried at all about ticks. I don't believe its a 100% guarantee but its MUCH better than the alternative.

P.S. Permanone is the brand, I believe the active ingredient is permathin, so there may be other brands, this one is made by repel as mentioned. Note: it is not for your skin!

+1
Permanone is far and above the best anti tick spray on the market.
My part of the country has ticks real bad.

Permethrin is bad for cats (will kill them), and keep it away from aquatic sources, but yes, it can be part of the solution certainly. Most people pick up ticks in their yard - tick tubes (google it), plus simple landscape modifications can make a massive difference.

Cabellas carries Sawyer brand soak in tick repellent that contains pemetherin. I find that it lasts longer than the spray on product. THe military uses the same product. Deet really doesnt do much for ticks, but works great for Black flies and mosquitoes.

There are lots of non poisionous products that can make you or your pet less attractive to fleas and ticks. For example, centuries ago, it was discovered that stable boys did not contract the Black Plague and it was thought at the time that lack of bathing was the reason. They were on the right track and doctors at the time advocated that people not bathe but they missed one small detail. The fleas that transmitted the plague from rats to humans didn't like horses and as the stable boys slept in the stables, they smelled like the horses and so repelled the fleas.

LLigetfa said:
There are lots of non poisionous products that can make you or your pet less attractive to fleas and ticks. For example, centuries ago, it was discovered that stable boys did not contract the Black Plague and it was thought at the time that lack of bathing was the reason. They were on the right track and doctors at the time advocated that people not bathe but they missed one small detail. The fleas that transmitted the plague from rats to humans didn't like horses and as the stable boys slept in the stables, they smelled like the horses and so repelled the fleas.

So to avoid ticks I should stop showering and sleep with horses? I think I saw this in the Godfather . . . and I know what it means when you wake up with a horse head in your bed. ;) :)

I use Repel 100% DEET, I just spray my hat, Shoulders, cuffs of my shirt and pants, boots and my waist line. I read last year that DEET is not as harmful as they first thaught. Now that dosn't mean you should take a bath in it. I will look for the artical and post it if I can find it.

i think you are allergic or your not. last time i went camping i used a product that was 100% deet i put it on 2 or 3 times in a night. from like 3pm to 3 am. plus a good cigar. no bites, and other than my three heads getting itchy i had no problems :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.