timber floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwanceri

Dec 24, 2010
uk
hi i am thinking of fitting a wood burner stove but i have a suspended timber floor and want to know hearth thicknesses in the uk (building regs) i have read that i can buy one on legs and do not need to make the hearth so thick, any answers would be most appreciated, also my room size is 17 foot long by 14 foot wide by 7foot 6 inches high i have 2 doors in the room and a 8 foot by 6 foot window in one wall what kilowatt output stove would i need,thanks.

First off if your worried about hearth thickness then get a stove that only needs ember protection. Over here there are a number of stoves [Pacific Energy] that need no heat protection on floor they just need an ember barrier. This is mainly because their ash drawers insulate the stove from the floor. We do not work on klw we use btus in fact most do not trust manufacturers output ratings. If this room is all your going to heat then I would look into a stove with over a 2cuft fire box. This should be more than enough. If you want heat to go to rest of home through doorways and need solid overnight burns then over 2.5cuft is the size to heat your place with.

iwanceri said:
hi i am thinking of fitting a wood burner stove but i have a suspended timber floor and want to know hearth thicknesses in the uk (building regs) i have read that i can buy one on legs and do not need to make the hearth so thick, any answers would be most appreciated, also my room size is 17 foot long by 14 foot wide by 7foot 6 inches high i have 2 doors in the room and a 8 foot by 6 foot window in one wall what kilowatt output stove would i need,thanks.

Welcome Iwanceri, and happy Christmas from across the pond!

I am no expert on British builiding codes, if any, but can tell you how we do it here, in hopes you will find it useful.

Here we have a generic set of hearth performance and wall-clearance requirements, that apply when no specific information on a stove is available. Usually, a manufacturer tests their stoves, and supplies a specific set of hearth and clearance requirements that supersede the generic requirements, and are usually easier to meet. Those are found in the stove's user manual.

HTH, and Happy Christmas!

Welcome to hearth.com. In general, less expensive stoves on short legs without a heatshield or ashpan underneath will need more floor protection. The good news is that there are several UK available stoves that have simple ember protection requirements. For these stoves you only need a non-combustible surface surrounding the stove. Your stove dealer can show you premade pads that will work for the stove or it could be made up in a metal shop. Or you could create your own hearthpad by tiling over some cement board.

Do you wish to heat just this room or the adjacent rooms also? If the adjacent rooms, what is the total square footage of desired heating? Do you know what you would be burning for fuel?

BeGreen said:
Welcome to hearth.com. In general, less expensive stoves on short legs without a heatshield or ashpan underneath will need more floor protection. The good news is that there are several UK available stoves that have simple ember protection requirements. For these stoves you only need a non-combustible surface surrounding the stove. Your stove dealer can show you premade pads that will work for the stove or it could be made up in a metal shop. Or you could create your own hearthpad by tiling over some cement board.

Do you wish to heat just this room or the adjacent rooms also? If the adjacent rooms, what is the total square footage of desired heating? Do you know what you would be burning for fuel?
hi thanks for answer mainly the one room would like to heat as much as possible really but cannot afford to fit rads fuel would be wood and coal or wood alone if i could get away with it as coal has gone expensive,ta

Status
Not open for further replies.