Timber jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I'm ready to pull the trigger on a timber-jack. Baileys has one for $69, Northern tool has one for $53. Does anyone have any opinions on these two tools? Is one better then the other? I'm looking locally but haven't found one. I would like to be able to go out and cut, without dragging my wife with me to help block the logs. I need an alternative to dead-lifting the logs in order to place blocks under them.

Cannot say about the Baileys, but they usually have really good quality stuff. I have had the wood handled one from Northern Tools for over 2 years and it has been used and abused and left out in the woods for months and still jacked 18" logs yesterday without a hitch.

Thanks caber, I think I will go that direction as I also am planning to order the $30 moisture meter from NT also. I found a timber-jack locally but it sounds like the least expensive tool from NT, at the heavy duty price!

I have the low cost all steel version from Northern, and it's a peice of CRAP! I didn't find if very good for lifting, and it has bent in multiple places... The metal alloy is not strong enough for the job.

Even when it worked it was almost as much of a nusiance as a help - I could never get more than 2-3 rounds cut with it before I'd need to put the saw down, reposition and set up, then restart the saw, etc... I could take and make partial cuts down the length of a trunk, probably sectioning it up reasonably well in the process, and then roll the logs and make finish cuts in the same time it would take me to fart around with the timber jack for 3-4 rounds.

I have heard the wooden handles are better in terms of strength, but still have the problem of being a nusiance to use. I'd just as soon simply stick with a peavey / cant-hook to roll big stuff as needed and skip the jack part.

However what I'd like to get even more is a pair of good pulp hooks. Makes moving rounds and splits easier once you get used to them.

Gooserider

Hi Guys,

I have a timberjack too (the logging brand from Maine for about $60) and use it regularly. Nice for smaller logs on the ground. Lift it up and you won't ground your saw.

I also roll logs and tip large rounds with it. I like jag's tip on replacing the bolt with a pin. Very smart.

Thanks

Carpniels

carpniels said:
I like jag's tip on replacing the bolt with a pin. Very smart.

Carpniels

You know us Isle Royal guys! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.