Time 4 Stove Temp vrs Room Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Let me be the 1st this season to return and Welcome all to the Golden Oldie #1 Topic Concerning Harman Stoves.: Room Temp vrs Stove Temp
[ Or others that run on similar operation]
Never did get this one straight yet.. Opinions but Not difinitive . maybe this time.

In Room temp/Manual, when the set temperature is reached via the supplied wired probe,
the stove will Not shut down but will linger due to periodical drop of pellets to keep the flame going.
[Maint burn]
In Stove temp/Auto, when The temperature is reached via the Inside ESP probe,
The stove will Not shut down but will linger due to periodical drop of pellets to keep the flame going.
[Maint Burn....
question is "Not your Operating preference" but question is " Why would one use one over the other since flame never goes out.. Pellet consumption differences over time maybe or not?

Last edited:
My stove does not have it's own thermostat. When in manual mode, my stove will keep going at whatever setting I leave it at regardless of room temperature.

Power loss while igniter is in manual mode is not fun, been there once.
Also, I run stove temp when it's very cold because I want the stove to remain hot. To me it is a waste to spend all those pellets reheating the thermal mass of the stove when it reaches room temperature and shuts off.

Last edited:
My stove does not have it's own thermostat. When in manual mode, my stove will keep going at whatever setting I leave it at regardless of room temperature.
How is this relevant to the OP's question?

I run stove temp when it's very cold because I want the stove to remain hot. To me it is a waste to spend all those pellets reheating the thermal mass of the stove when it reaches room temperature and shuts off.
Ok...
this is more or less the area I am talking about....
the poster gives good point... Stove remains hot due to Maint burn... but the question still remains.:
Why Stove /auto vrs Room/Manual as both will attain the above [keep stove flame alive so as not to re-ignite or re-warm..

One feature of Stove temp allows the stove to run in radiant mode. Nice when you want to just view the fire.
Then main thing is stove temp just pushes heat regardless room temp and does not shut down until out of pellets. Basically flame control. I use stove temp when I want to give the stove a long hot burn.

I run stove temp when it's very cold because I want the stove to remain hot. To me it is a waste to spend all those pellets reheating the thermal mass of the stove when it reaches room temperature and shuts off.
Ok...
the poster gives good point... Stove remains hot due to Maint burn... but the question still remains.:
Why Stove /auto vrs Room/Manual as both will attain the above [keep stove flame alive so as not to re-ignite or re-warm..

The two modes are just two ways to achieve roughly the same "always on" operation. However in stove temp mode you have to adjust the dial in response to outdoor temperature changes.

Ok...
Well I'm new to my stove but during warmer temps I have the stove in room temp manuall so that the temp stays even in the house due to daytime warming and cooling at night. Not sure yet but when it gets colder when the stove is getting worked hard I think I will switch to stove temp auto because the stove won't be ramping up and down causing a cool feeling in the house and in cooler temps the daytime heating making it a little warmer in the house will be welcome

ok.... doesn't seem to be any BIG Deal breaker advantages/disadvatages to either mode.....
Checking past posts on the subject it's pretty much 50-50 on choice of burn mode for all kinds of reasons..
Now for bonus Question:
any increase or decrease in pellet consumption using room/manual or Stove/Auto..?
[Not including Room/auto for the simple fact that the stove Will shut down for many hours during shoulder season days obviously conserving pellets.]

Why not run room room temp auto? I do during the shoulder season. When it gets colder the stove will cycle more so I switch to room temp manual for faster heat. When it is really cold room temp manual is the norm. If I am watching football all day and in the room I use stove temp auto and raise and lower it myself.

Reactions: SteveB
It's a personal preference for mntc mode. Pellet consumption is very difficult to gauge with a Harman because the stove automates fresh air, exhaust temps and feed rates depending on what mode it is in and the heat loss of the building it sits in.

As I write this it is 48 out, stove is in room temp, auto just to keep the chill out, this way the room doesn't get too hot and remains comfortable

How to I replicate this tomorrow to test stove mode when so many of the above variables could be different - my answer, I don't care, as long as the stove keeps the occupants comfortable......

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveB
Each house is different but in mine definitely less pellet use in the shoulder season in room temp auto. But I often run it in stove temp anyway for a couple hours in the morning so the stove won't shut down, then switch to Room temp auto if headed out the the door. . Some may use Room temp manual, for me that's my mid winter mode. My probe is fairly near the stove though and shoulder season presents a mild situation comparatively speaking. This year I want to move that to my dining room and am sure that will change some of my habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.