Time for new woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffluck

Jan 26, 2008
VA
We have been using an old Timberline for many years. With the price of fuel oil having gone up, it is now our primary source of heat. However, it is not enough heat, especially on windy days.

Would a stove such as the NC-30 Englander be a major improvement in heat output in comparison to this old stove? Or, would the larger model be more comparable?

Maybe someone in the forum here has made this very switch and can offer suggestions.

The old Timberline can crank out the heat, but I find the pieces need to be quartered, and the fire needs re-stoking too frequently. I usually make two cleanings of the stove pipe and chimney during the burning season to clean out the creosote. I probably get about 15-25 lbs of creosote each cleaning.

Picture of stove. It has a 21" x24" firebox.

Backup Plan B is to put an woodburing insert in our second chimney, to run two fires on the really cold days. However, I would need to remove the old circa 1912 coal burning insert, which appears to be mortared into the chimney. I'd like to deal with the main stove issue first, before tearing stuff out.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 219
The 30NC will be an improvement with a larger firebox and a lot more efficient combustion. However, if the house is losing heat badly, then it might not be the full solution. How many sq ft is the stove heating?

I don't know the square footage of the house living space.

I don't have any BTU ratings for the Timberline, I'll re-check the brochure that came with it. That information would be nice to have, at least that would be something to use for comparision to other stoves.

I have a feeling that it may be one of those situations were we just have to take a chance that these new generation stoves are worth an upgrade from what we have now.

Thanks for your reply.

You won't really be taking a chance on the new generation stoves Tuffluck. They will eat less wood, give you a nice glass for viewing the fire, and require less cleaning than your current stove. I had a large old Vestal similar to the Timberline. It was hard to give her up (she sits in the corner of the garage cold and dusty and now a little rusty) but I am happy with the replacement for the reasons I mentioned. And oh yeah, they do heat different. Less radiant and more convection than the Timberline.

Status
Not open for further replies.