1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Time to buy some chaps

Post in 'The Gear' started by muncybob, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Sealcove

Sealcove Member

Loc:
    MDI - Maine
    If I am going to be cutting for any significant period of time, I greatly prefer protective pants or bibs as opposed to chaps. Chaps are of course great if you just need to throw them on for a short while, but they tend to be restrictive and uncomfortable. One caveat of pants/bibs is that they are not for warm weather, but cutting in warm weather is to be avoided unless you are getting paid to do it.

I don't think Husqvarna makes the bibs I have anymore, but they still make the pant version, which I think could be even better if you add good suspenders.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...s/clothes/pro-forest-protective-pants-summer/

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I used to feel that way with chaps especially with the newer heavy weight versions but since switching to suspenders I find the caps are much easy to use.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I'll second that. Elvex chaps are very nice. The pair I own have a lot "fluff" in the shell.
  4. cwitham

cwitham Member

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    The video of the chaps filler (Kevlar, IIRC) stopping the chainsaw dead in its tracks are why I got our FD to buy them, and why I will.
  5. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    You can always wear JUST the chaps by themselves. :eek:

I have the Labonville Extreme Competition Chaps. A little warm in Summer, (not unbearable though) but nice for Spring, Fall and winter. One of the thickest available I believe.

I NEVER cut without chaps and steel toes.;ex
  6. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    I like the idea of pants but it seems for the most part they don't tell you the specifics of the material like some of the chaps do. For instance, the Labonville full wrap chaps state they have 1000 denier exterior and several layers of kevlar. Usually the description of the pants is that they have a durable tear resistnt exterior and meet certain safety standards. While I want to be safe I want to get the best level of safety and durability that my $$ can buy.
  7. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Pants are nice, but I've come to like wearing chaps. If it's too hot, I can remove them when I take a break. I've been using the Labonville standard 6-ply full wrap chaps.