Time to throttle back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I was able to keep us very warm throughout the 2 week cold snap we just experienced running the throttle about half open on the stove but the temps rose all night last night! I woke to a very,very warm home...like to the tune of 82 in the stove room...lol....wife loves that but me not so much! So I have her throttled way back tonight and it is such a relief to get back to normal temps! I hope the same is happening for the rest of you folks!

Same thing here. House was about 80 today so my stove is throttled way back tonight. Burnt up most of my locust unfortunately in that cold snap the past few weeks but I stayed warm! Dang Indiana weather goes from 0 to 60 in the matter of a few days lol

Reactions: lsucet
Looks like an Indiana thread. I noticed a night and day difference between negative single digits and positive single digits. Planning on burning some cottonwood since we are in a warm stretch.

Not just Indiana. The north end of Illinois had pretty much the same weather. The last two weeks were pretty brutal

Alas, I've been burning oil during the cold snap 'cause I'm waiting on replacement for the broken glass door. Bad timing and a 68 deg. house doesn't make it.

Time to throttle back!
Oops, looks like I need to throttle back some more. This is a little warmer than I like.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Not just Indiana. The north end of Illinois had pretty much the same weather. The last two weeks were pretty brutal
Indiana,Illinois(where I am originally from),and Ohio all got a their share for sure.

Same thing here. House was about 80 today so my stove is throttled way back tonight. Burnt up most of my locust unfortunately in that cold snap the past few weeks but I stayed warm! Dang Indiana weather goes from 0 to 60 in the matter of a few days lol
I am still setting on a cord of Locust...hopefully we don't take another big hit!

I’m happy it’s warming up, but mid to high 50s by Friday and 1-2” rain is something I could do without. There’s around 18” frost in the ground and the jobsite is going to be a real disaster. C’est la vie I suppose. I just turned the oil burner thermostat down 4 degrees so I am happy about that

Reactions: heavy hammer
I’m happy it’s warming up, but mid to high 50s by Friday and 1-2” rain is something I could do without. There’s around 18” frost in the ground and the jobsite is going to be a real disaster. C’est la vie I suppose. I just turned the oil burner thermostat down 4 degrees so I am happy about that
I hear you...every jobsite I was on today was a mess and will be getting worse as the week warms up...but this beats the -30 mornings!

I agree. I’m usually out in it all day every day but since things are slow we have foreman running some of the equipment. I’ve been fortunate enough to be running a Cat 336 excavator the last several days but a hydraulic line blew on the stick cylinder 10:30 today and I was out in it the rest of the day. Probably due to trying to dig through 18” of frost lol. It’ll be fixed tomorrow morning

Alas, I've been burning oil during the cold snap 'cause I'm waiting on replacement for the broken glass door. Bad timing and a 68 deg. house doesn't make it.

That sucks...hope it gets fixed quick for you.

Reactions: velvetfoot
that stinks about the door! 68 doesn't seem that bad... that's what our upstairs is with the stove running, and 10 degrees warmer than my bedroom when I woke up!

50 and rain is not any fun, but trying to work the last two weeks outside was brutal. We just need a constant winter temp, but it seems like winters are ups and downs anymore.

As with everyone else, I've been burning hard the past couple of weeks. Thankfully I'm not using as much wood as I expected. I still have a full two cords left not including softwood for the remainder of the season. However, we have low temps arriving again on Friday evening with a low of 12F and a high on Saturday of 29F. So thankful for the wood stove!

After the last two weeks of heavy burn,this is a nice but brief respite. Going to try to get out and reload the garage rack today before we get showers. Now they are talking about a storm this weekend with a return to single digits. I'm burning almost exclusively EAB ash. Does a good job for me!

We burnt through about 125 gallons of oil in 8 weeks. Sounds like a lot but most people I know around here burned twice that and some burned as much as 660 gallons.
And I'm the only one whose boiler heats the domestic hot water too! Love the wood stove.
Last winter we had a wood furnace in the last house. This house we put in a Drolet 1800i insert in the fireplace and couldn't be happier. Burns way way less wood and this house is built way better and must be insulated better cause its a lot warmer than the last one. Still sitting on about 2 cords of oak. Should get through no problem.
I read some of the articles on the pellet stove section, I wouldn't want to deal with that crap. A stove like mine is so much easier. And if your burning 2 bags of pellets a day you might be spending $300 per month.

Reactions: Tar12
My wife is from the Caribbean, so she's thrilled when I have the living room or bedroom too hot. I try to keep the temperature down so the house doesn't get too dry.

My wife is from the Caribbean, so she's thrilled when I have the living room or bedroom too hot. I try to keep the temperature down so the house doesn't get too dry.

Is funny. I am from the caribbean too and when i am not use to cold weather, I dont like it too hot and dry. Well so many years here, i guess i am use to it by now:)

It was 53 last night here. Almost a 70 degree temp difference from last week!
The house holds heat a lot better at those temps, had to crack a window because the upstairs was approaching 75 and I was sweating sitting next to the stove. Couple pieces overnight and the house was still 70 this morning.

It was around 60 F last night. I replaced a couple of brake rotors with the garage doors open as it warmer outside then inside. I had the boiler down for two days and was running in the minisplit. Nice break but temps are heading back down to January. I got rid of a lot of snowpack and the warm weather cut down on the snow banks. Now back to winter

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
This was my living room last night. Had to crack the window!
Time to throttle back!
. Back to close to zero degrees tonight and tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk