1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tips on buying a used Pellet Stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by zendiagrams, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zendiagrams

zendiagrams New Member

Loc:
    Williams, PA
    We decided to go with the second pellet stove in our basement. Though, we are going to keep the fireplace and skip the insert and put a second free standing one. I am considering getting a used unit, looking at craigslist etc.

Besides the obvious question I have to ask the person of is it hooked up, or is it outside and can I run it to make sure it works. What are some other tips in either things to ask, or things to look for in a reliable used unit?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    My theory is that some one is getting rid on the stove for a reason
    so unless it is a GREAT deal I like to stay away from used stoves
    Why inhearet someone else's problem child
  3. Pyro2

Pyro2 New Member

Loc:
    NW New Jersey
    For the most part, I agree with you hearthtools, but in my situation, I was able to get a good condition (albiet older) pellet stove for $500. The reason the owner was selling it was that her husband was the only one who knew how to run and clean it. She knew how to put pellets in it, but that's it. Sadly, he passed away, so the stove just sat. She was so happy to see it go to a good home and keep people warm like it had done for them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may not be common, but there are some good deals out there :)
  4. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Yes if you get it and a good price then yes
    I look at it
    Add up the cost of changing all the important parts
    and see if it is about half of a new stove.
    If less than half then it is a good deal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.