Tis The Season for FIRE - Predictions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I'm sure some of you regulars have noticed the seasonal pickup in activity here in the boiler room has already started. It's like clockwork. The end of August always brings throngs of new and old users alike back to hearth.com to ponder how we'll all deal with the coming heating season.

Come October 1st there will no doubt be 2 or 3 threads started by folks scrambling to get their systems finished before it gets "really cold". Round about mid November we'll have a few users wondering how to find and/or stop that pesky slow leak of smoke coming from their boiler door. Inevitably by December 1st there will be AT LEAST one new gasser user that is painfully learning the "wet wood" lesson and he'll wonder if it's worth it to burn store-bought 2x4's for the rest of the season. Things will be pretty quiet in January until somebody out there blows a pressure valve or melts some pex because they either left their lower door open during start-up (and forgot) or had a circ pump take a crap. In February we'll start comparing cord counts and ask the question "when is the winter REALLY half over". And finally, come March/April, many of us will start talking about how much longer we think we're going to burn and when the Spring cleaning will take place.

What say you, boiler room? How do those wood piles look? Are we ready? After last winter I hope everyone had plenty of wood left over! I know I did. I'm looking forward to that first fire but I'm also shocked at how fast this summer went. It's Labor day weekend already. Holy smokes...

Reactions: ScotO
Man, did you nail it. Thats exactly what I saw happen here in the one year I've been here. Literally word for word and post for post.

You can't believe its LAbor Day, what I can't believe is how fast my first year went and yet how long it feels at the same time.
What really blows my mind is how my life has been completely consumed with this new lifestyle.

It's the same thing in every forum on here. Except for the Ash can, that forum is always full of chit..:p:cool:

I'm sure some of you regulars have noticed the seasonal pickup in activity here in the boiler room has already started. It's like clockwork. The end of August always brings throngs of new and old users alike back to hearth.com to ponder how we'll all deal with the coming heating season.

Come October 1st there will no doubt be 2 or 3 threads started by folks scrambling to get their systems finished before it gets "really cold". Round about mid November we'll have a few users wondering how to find and/or stop that pesky slow leak of smoke coming from their boiler door. Inevitably by December 1st there will be AT LEAST one new gasser user that is painfully learning the "wet wood" lesson and he'll wonder if it's worth it to burn store-bought 2x4's for the rest of the season. Things will be pretty quiet in January until somebody out there blows a pressure valve or melts some pex because they either left their lower door open during start-up (and forgot) or had a circ pump take a crap. In February we'll start comparing cord counts and ask the question "when is the winter REALLY half over". And finally, come March/April, many of us will start talking about how much longer we think we're going to burn and when the Spring cleaning will take place.

What say you, boiler room? How do those wood piles look? Are we ready? After last winter I hope everyone had plenty of wood left over! I know I did. I'm looking forward to that first fire but I'm also shocked at how fast this summer went. It's Labor day weekend already. Holy smokes...
Well said!!! Must be a veteran of hearth.com..........LOL

Hah. I always enjoy the change of seasons on this website. It's a mad house from October through March. Some days it's hard to keep up with all the new threads...

always the same, but we must like it, cause we come back to endure it year after year.

I'm too green to post on this thread....... But have read the archives.

TS

Im sitting on about 10.5 cords of wood ready to go. Cleaned the chimney and heat exchanger after the end of the season, but pulled the tubes and baffles to clean the firebox today. I'm ready for another season, but not in a hurry. The leaves are falling and trees are changing color, seems early this year.

This is my first winter. Last count has 52 pallet U's made up for this year's wood.. and 18 of Oak only for future years. I'm still cutting. I don't have a clue how much it will really take to heat... but last winter was 1500 gallons of oil, and that was mild.

Think I'm ready. We'll find out. I don't think I'll be complaining of green wood. Most was cut and split startling Jan. I do know my splits were too big when I started.

JP

I predict there will be at least two more threads about how things never change on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.