TL-300 burning coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
think it makes any difference whether I burn down coals with the dampner open or should I send it thru the "firedome"?

I think burning coals make more ash in a short time, and don't know if I should send all that thru the firedome or not? Of course when I open the air to burn coals and send it up the flue,, i have good enough draft that I send sparks and such out the chim, and worry about fires.

I can increase or decrease stove temp burning coals with air control just like i am burning splits.

You should not get sparks when it is down to all coals. That for sure is the time to have the draft open full to burn down those coals.

You should not get sparks when it is down to all coals. That for sure is the time to have the draft open full to burn down those coals.

Your coals don't come apart when burning them? On mine, small pieces break off and go up the flue.

No. Never had that situation nor have I heard of it before. We actually open the draft just before the fire is down to the all coal stage. This holds the stove temperature while also burning down the coals.

One thing you might try is to pick up a bag of pellets. When your stove is down to coals, put about a cup full of pellets on the coals and many report this really helps in burning the coals down.

Status
Not open for further replies.